Jul 28, 2009, 11:51 AM EDT
* Some tidbits about Josh Geer’s homer-allowing binge:
He’s allowed at least one homer in 16 of 17 starts. He’s served up 27
homers in 102.2 innings, which works out to a rate of 2.4 homers per
nine innings that ranks as the fourth-highest in baseball history among pitchers with at least 100 innings.
For comparison, Mariano Rivera has allowed a grand total of 58 homers
in 1,066.1 career innings. Wait, there’s more. Take him away from
power-suppressing Petco Park and Geer has allowed an astounding 16
homers in 43 innings. He’s been invited to serve as “all-time pitcher”
for next year’s Home Run Debry. OK, I made that last one up.
* Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports
that Fausto Carmona will make at least one more start at Triple-A
before rejoining the Indians. Demoted all the way to rookie-ball on
June 5, Carmona has worked his way back up to Triple-A by posting a
2.72 ERA and 39/7 K/BB ratio in seven minor-league starts between three
* Pitching coach Rick Knapp gave the Tigers a scare
Sunday night when he passed out and briefly lost consciousness on the
team plane. An emergency landing and trip to the hospital followed, but
Knapp was released after a brief stay and was back at work yesterday.
* As a follow-up to my entry yesterday about Luke Hochevar’s back-to-back impressive starts putting him in some exclusive company, Clark Fosler of Royals Authority examines why Hochevar is suddenly pitching so well. The short answer? More sliders.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 13
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)