Jul 28, 2009, 11:51 AM EDT
* Some tidbits about Josh Geer’s homer-allowing binge:
He’s allowed at least one homer in 16 of 17 starts. He’s served up 27
homers in 102.2 innings, which works out to a rate of 2.4 homers per
nine innings that ranks as the fourth-highest in baseball history among pitchers with at least 100 innings.
For comparison, Mariano Rivera has allowed a grand total of 58 homers
in 1,066.1 career innings. Wait, there’s more. Take him away from
power-suppressing Petco Park and Geer has allowed an astounding 16
homers in 43 innings. He’s been invited to serve as “all-time pitcher”
for next year’s Home Run Debry. OK, I made that last one up.
* Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports
that Fausto Carmona will make at least one more start at Triple-A
before rejoining the Indians. Demoted all the way to rookie-ball on
June 5, Carmona has worked his way back up to Triple-A by posting a
2.72 ERA and 39/7 K/BB ratio in seven minor-league starts between three
* Pitching coach Rick Knapp gave the Tigers a scare
Sunday night when he passed out and briefly lost consciousness on the
team plane. An emergency landing and trip to the hospital followed, but
Knapp was released after a brief stay and was back at work yesterday.
* As a follow-up to my entry yesterday about Luke Hochevar’s back-to-back impressive starts putting him in some exclusive company, Clark Fosler of Royals Authority examines why Hochevar is suddenly pitching so well. The short answer? More sliders.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)