Jul 29, 2009, 1:09 AM EDT
To say that the Red Sox are disappointed that Daisuke Matsuzaka came out and blamed his health issues on Boston’s trainers is like saying Brett Favre is indecisive.
Or that Randy Johnson is tall. You get the idea.
This from the Boston Globe’s Tony Massarotti:
“I think we all share, in a word, that it’s disappointing,” Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell said a short time ago in the Boston clubhouse — veins all but bulging from his neck — in response to critical comments made by Daisuke Matsuzaka. Added Farrell when asked if he was frustrated, “The disappointment comes in airing his dirty laundry.”
Massarotti goes on to write that the Red Sox have been frustrated with Dice-K’s “high-maintenance” act long ago, but put up with him because he won. Now that the right-hander is tossing barbs at the organization, apparently the team is finished playing nice.
In retrospect, what Farrell did not say was that Matsuzaka looked like he spent the winter eating dumplings and shumai, which the Red Sox believe contributed to the pitcher’s problems.
“It’s not just the shoulder,” Farrell said tonight when asked about the importance of proper conditioning. “When the overall body is not in the condition necessary to support that, there has to be some responsibility taken [on the part of the pitcher.]“
So the Red Sox turn the tables, blaming Dice-K for his poor conditioning. It’s not quite “Fat Toad” territory, but pretty darn close.
Dice-K’s comments have not endeared himself to fans. It will be interesting to see where this leads.
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 33
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 59
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- Cardinals reportedly making a strong push to acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 49
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)