Jul 29, 2009, 1:09 AM EDT
To say that the Red Sox are disappointed that Daisuke Matsuzaka came out and blamed his health issues on Boston’s trainers is like saying Brett Favre is indecisive.
Or that Randy Johnson is tall. You get the idea.
This from the Boston Globe’s Tony Massarotti:
“I think we all share, in a word, that it’s disappointing,” Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell said a short time ago in the Boston clubhouse — veins all but bulging from his neck — in response to critical comments made by Daisuke Matsuzaka. Added Farrell when asked if he was frustrated, “The disappointment comes in airing his dirty laundry.”
Massarotti goes on to write that the Red Sox have been frustrated with Dice-K’s “high-maintenance” act long ago, but put up with him because he won. Now that the right-hander is tossing barbs at the organization, apparently the team is finished playing nice.
In retrospect, what Farrell did not say was that Matsuzaka looked like he spent the winter eating dumplings and shumai, which the Red Sox believe contributed to the pitcher’s problems.
“It’s not just the shoulder,” Farrell said tonight when asked about the importance of proper conditioning. “When the overall body is not in the condition necessary to support that, there has to be some responsibility taken [on the part of the pitcher.]”
So the Red Sox turn the tables, blaming Dice-K for his poor conditioning. It’s not quite “Fat Toad” territory, but pretty darn close.
Dice-K’s comments have not endeared himself to fans. It will be interesting to see where this leads.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)