Jul 29, 2009, 6:19 PM EDT
I sort of called this one on the old twitter feed a couple of days ago. At least I was hoping that the reason the Reds weren’t calling up Chris Heisey was because they were getting ready to pick up an outfielder.
This actually looks like a Jim Bowden move for Cincinnati. Balentien isn’t a five-tools guy, but he does have 30-homer power and a terrific arm. His career line is sitting at .209/.260/.359 in 401 at-bats, but he’s going to a smaller ballpark now, which should help. He’ll probably never hit for average because he swings and misses so often, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him turn into an adequate regular anyway. How he performs over the rest of this year will determine whether the Reds keep him in their plans for 2010. Heisey, Drew Stubbs and Todd Frazier could all factor into the outfield mix next year, so Balentien may have only a small window to establish himself.
The Mariners did pretty well here in getting Manuel, a reliever who broke through with a 1.25 ERA and a 103/18 K/BB ratio in 86 2/3 innings at three levels of the minors last season. The 26-year-old had a 2.70 ERA for Triple-A Louisville this season, and he pitched 4 1/3 scoreless innings during his brief time in the majors. While he doesn’t impress scouts with his 88-92 mph fastball, he has a deceptive delivery and excellent command. He could prove pretty useful in the middle innings, and the Mariners will almost certainly give him an opportunity soon.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 200
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)