Jul 29, 2009, 3:29 AM EDT
Let’s take a quick spin around the league, see what they were talking about regarding the march to Friday’s trade deadline.
Halladay, by the way, is scheduled to pitch in Seattle on Wednesday.
Nonetheless, one report said the Dodgers, Red Sox, Phillies and Angels have all spoken to Cleveland recently.
*There was much attention on Jarrod Washburn, as scouts from the Yankees, Phillies, Brewers and Rangers watched him pitch against the Blue Jays on Tuesday night. Washburn got a no-decision while allowing one run in seven innings and lowering his ERA to 2.64.
As good as that sounds, he did get some help from his defense, including a homer-saving catch by rookie Michael Saunders.
And there is some speculation that some sort of package deal could be in the works, as Mariners prospect Jeff Clement was pulled from a AAA game in the third inning Tuesday night.
The New York Times, by the way, wonders if Washburn might be the best bargain on the block.
*The Giants, having dealt for Ryan Garko on Monday, were reportedly close to acquiring Freddy Sanchez from the Pirates. But they first want to make sure his knee will hold up.
*The Dodgers, looking for some bullpen help, are hot after Orioles closer George Sherrill.
*The Angels are still in the running for both Halladay and Lee, but may end up turning to lower-tier options.
*Quietly, the Red Sox and White Sox swapped a pair of Sox.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 72
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)