Jul 29, 2009, 3:29 AM EDT
Let’s take a quick spin around the league, see what they were talking about regarding the march to Friday’s trade deadline.
Halladay, by the way, is scheduled to pitch in Seattle on Wednesday.
Nonetheless, one report said the Dodgers, Red Sox, Phillies and Angels have all spoken to Cleveland recently.
*There was much attention on Jarrod Washburn, as scouts from the Yankees, Phillies, Brewers and Rangers watched him pitch against the Blue Jays on Tuesday night. Washburn got a no-decision while allowing one run in seven innings and lowering his ERA to 2.64.
As good as that sounds, he did get some help from his defense, including a homer-saving catch by rookie Michael Saunders.
And there is some speculation that some sort of package deal could be in the works, as Mariners prospect Jeff Clement was pulled from a AAA game in the third inning Tuesday night.
The New York Times, by the way, wonders if Washburn might be the best bargain on the block.
*The Giants, having dealt for Ryan Garko on Monday, were reportedly close to acquiring Freddy Sanchez from the Pirates. But they first want to make sure his knee will hold up.
*The Dodgers, looking for some bullpen help, are hot after Orioles closer George Sherrill.
*The Angels are still in the running for both Halladay and Lee, but may end up turning to lower-tier options.
*Quietly, the Red Sox and White Sox swapped a pair of Sox.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)