Jul 30, 2009, 12:26 PM EST
“This is embarrassing. It’s like pitiful to watch. This is terrible.”
Reds manager Dusty Baker, after rookie Mat Latos and two relievers combined for a one-hitter
against his club on Wednesday night. The slipping Reds have dropped
eight of their last 10 games and are currently nine games behind the
“I’ll definitely be able to sleep tonight.”
Orioles rookie pitcher Chris Tillman puts things in perspective
after allowing three runs (all on solo homers) over 4 2/3 innings in
his major league debut against the Royals on Wednesday night.
”I understand and sympathize with
the fans. But fans think in the moment. A general manager has to keep
one eye on the moment and one eye on building championship teams for
the future. If I didn’t make tough decisions like this, we wouldn’t
have guys like Cliff Lee in the first place.”
- After dealing ace Cliff Lee, Indians general manager Mark Shapiro goes the high road by reminding us all that he knows better than the fans.
“Maybe I can come off the bench and get a hit at a key point and win a game or two down the stretch.”
- The rehabbing Troy Glaus, who now sounds like a former high-school football player who wants to relive his glory days.
Yes, Glaus still wears his letterman jacket and yes, he still thinks he
can throw this football over those mountains. It just might hurt
“Giving up a homer with two outs to the pitcher isn’t just disappointing, it’s pathetic.”
- Kenshin Kawakami expresses his frustration (via his interpreter) after serving up a three-run homer to opposing pitcher Josh Johnson on Wednesday night.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 9
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 72
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)