Jul 30, 2009, 2:06 AM EST
With Cliff Lee off to the Phillies, and Matt Holliday already making himself at home in St. Louis, the trade market has lost a bit of luster.
But there is still a lot going on out there as we march closer to Friday’s trade deadline. Let’s take a look at what’s going on:
The self-imposed deadline for the Blue Jays to trade ace Roy Halladay has passed, but that doesn’t mean someone might still pry him away. The Yankees, for their part, are watching with amusement, hoping Halladay won’t be waiting in Toronto next Tuesday when they travel north but certainly not wishing to see him in a Red Sox uniform, either. So what will happen with Halladay?
*The Yankees, reluctant to add to their bloated payroll, say they’re not an option.
*Halladay reportedly hasn’t ruled out waiving his no-trade clause to join the Rangers, but they seem to be a long shot, given their financial woes.
*The Dodgers have said they won’t deal anyone off their major league roster, but might be willing to part with Chad Billingsley.
*With the Phillies most assuredly out of the running, that leaves the Red Sox as the likeliest option. They’ve been the most aggressive, and have reportedly made the best offer to date.
*… unless the Blue Jays keep him.
*The Giants shored up their infield with the Pirates’ Freddy Sanchez.
*The Mariners dealt five players to the Pirates for Ian Snell and Jack Wilson.
*Staying busy, they also sent outfielder Wladimir Balentien to the Reds for pitcher Robert Manuel.
*Is Jarrod Washburn the next Mariner to go?
*The Red Sox might be after the Indians’ Victor Martinez and the Padres’ Adrian Gonzalez. Consider Martinez the more likely option. He’d be a nice upgrade over Jason Varitek.
*The Marlins are pushing hard for Padres closer Heath Bell.
*There is a lot of interest out there in Orioles closer George Sherrill.
*For the latest, check out our rumors page.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)