Jul 30, 2009, 2:06 AM EDT
With Cliff Lee off to the Phillies, and Matt Holliday already making himself at home in St. Louis, the trade market has lost a bit of luster.
But there is still a lot going on out there as we march closer to Friday’s trade deadline. Let’s take a look at what’s going on:
The self-imposed deadline for the Blue Jays to trade ace Roy Halladay has passed, but that doesn’t mean someone might still pry him away. The Yankees, for their part, are watching with amusement, hoping Halladay won’t be waiting in Toronto next Tuesday when they travel north but certainly not wishing to see him in a Red Sox uniform, either. So what will happen with Halladay?
*The Yankees, reluctant to add to their bloated payroll, say they’re not an option.
*Halladay reportedly hasn’t ruled out waiving his no-trade clause to join the Rangers, but they seem to be a long shot, given their financial woes.
*The Dodgers have said they won’t deal anyone off their major league roster, but might be willing to part with Chad Billingsley.
*With the Phillies most assuredly out of the running, that leaves the Red Sox as the likeliest option. They’ve been the most aggressive, and have reportedly made the best offer to date.
*… unless the Blue Jays keep him.
*The Giants shored up their infield with the Pirates’ Freddy Sanchez.
*The Mariners dealt five players to the Pirates for Ian Snell and Jack Wilson.
*Staying busy, they also sent outfielder Wladimir Balentien to the Reds for pitcher Robert Manuel.
*Is Jarrod Washburn the next Mariner to go?
*The Red Sox might be after the Indians’ Victor Martinez and the Padres’ Adrian Gonzalez. Consider Martinez the more likely option. He’d be a nice upgrade over Jason Varitek.
*The Marlins are pushing hard for Padres closer Heath Bell.
*There is a lot of interest out there in Orioles closer George Sherrill.
*For the latest, check out our rumors page.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 2
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)