Jul 30, 2009, 2:06 AM EDT
With Cliff Lee off to the Phillies, and Matt Holliday already making himself at home in St. Louis, the trade market has lost a bit of luster.
But there is still a lot going on out there as we march closer to Friday’s trade deadline. Let’s take a look at what’s going on:
The self-imposed deadline for the Blue Jays to trade ace Roy Halladay has passed, but that doesn’t mean someone might still pry him away. The Yankees, for their part, are watching with amusement, hoping Halladay won’t be waiting in Toronto next Tuesday when they travel north but certainly not wishing to see him in a Red Sox uniform, either. So what will happen with Halladay?
*The Yankees, reluctant to add to their bloated payroll, say they’re not an option.
*Halladay reportedly hasn’t ruled out waiving his no-trade clause to join the Rangers, but they seem to be a long shot, given their financial woes.
*The Dodgers have said they won’t deal anyone off their major league roster, but might be willing to part with Chad Billingsley.
*With the Phillies most assuredly out of the running, that leaves the Red Sox as the likeliest option. They’ve been the most aggressive, and have reportedly made the best offer to date.
*… unless the Blue Jays keep him.
*The Giants shored up their infield with the Pirates’ Freddy Sanchez.
*The Mariners dealt five players to the Pirates for Ian Snell and Jack Wilson.
*Staying busy, they also sent outfielder Wladimir Balentien to the Reds for pitcher Robert Manuel.
*Is Jarrod Washburn the next Mariner to go?
*The Red Sox might be after the Indians’ Victor Martinez and the Padres’ Adrian Gonzalez. Consider Martinez the more likely option. He’d be a nice upgrade over Jason Varitek.
*The Marlins are pushing hard for Padres closer Heath Bell.
*There is a lot of interest out there in Orioles closer George Sherrill.
*For the latest, check out our rumors page.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)