Jul 31, 2009, 4:15 PM EDT
Twins acquire shortstop Orlando Cabrera from the Athletics in exchange for minor-league infielder Tyler Ladendorf.
Looking to shore up their middle infield, the Twins were also connected
to second baseman Freddy Sanchez, but considering that the Giants gave
up former first-round pick Tim Alderson to land him, this is a bargain
by comparison, especially with the Athletics kicking in some cash.
Cabrera, now 34, appears to have lost a step defensively this year
(-7.9 UZR and 14 errors), but when your shortstop options have combined
for a pathetic .241/.303/.330 line, who cares, really.
Cabrera got off to an awful start with the Athletics, and through
June he had a positively lousy .247/.290/.316 line. But he has been
unconscious in July, batting .373/.400/.500 with two homers, 16 RBI and
nine stolen bases. As I mentioned earlier, he leads the majors with 41
hits this month. The Twins have landed a proven veteran with
post-season experience. He’ll do just fine.
As for Ladendorf, he was the Twins second-round pick in 2008. The
21-year-old shortstop batted .410/.500/.721 with four homers and 17 RBI
in rookie ball, but has struggled since being promoted to Single-A
The important thing for Atheltics’ fans to know is that Cliff
Pennington is on his way to Oakland. In the end, Billy Beane did well
to get something for Cabrera, knowing that they couldn’t get any
compensation for him over the winter.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)