Jul 31, 2009, 4:15 PM EDT
Twins acquire shortstop Orlando Cabrera from the Athletics in exchange for minor-league infielder Tyler Ladendorf.
Looking to shore up their middle infield, the Twins were also connected
to second baseman Freddy Sanchez, but considering that the Giants gave
up former first-round pick Tim Alderson to land him, this is a bargain
by comparison, especially with the Athletics kicking in some cash.
Cabrera, now 34, appears to have lost a step defensively this year
(-7.9 UZR and 14 errors), but when your shortstop options have combined
for a pathetic .241/.303/.330 line, who cares, really.
Cabrera got off to an awful start with the Athletics, and through
June he had a positively lousy .247/.290/.316 line. But he has been
unconscious in July, batting .373/.400/.500 with two homers, 16 RBI and
nine stolen bases. As I mentioned earlier, he leads the majors with 41
hits this month. The Twins have landed a proven veteran with
post-season experience. He’ll do just fine.
As for Ladendorf, he was the Twins second-round pick in 2008. The
21-year-old shortstop batted .410/.500/.721 with four homers and 17 RBI
in rookie ball, but has struggled since being promoted to Single-A
The important thing for Atheltics’ fans to know is that Cliff
Pennington is on his way to Oakland. In the end, Billy Beane did well
to get something for Cabrera, knowing that they couldn’t get any
compensation for him over the winter.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)