Jul 31, 2009, 2:43 AM EST
Thursday was a rough day for the Red Sox and their fans, for reasons we won’t get into here. It looks like they will dominate talk in the final hours leading up to the trade deadline as well.
Pick a big name sitting on the block, and Theo Epstein appears to be feverishly working behind the scenes to put that player in a Red Sox uniform. At this point, it would be a huge shock if the Red Sox <i>don’t</i> make a big move by the deadline, and maybe even more than one. They’ve just got too many irons in the fire.
The Red Sox are so busy, it seems as if Clay Buchholz will be traded to about five different teams, all at the same time. If Epstein pulls that off, he deserves some kind of award, like maybe this.
Breaking it down, in order of likelihood …
The Red Sox have been talking to the Indians about Martinez for a long time, and with Jason Varitek plodding along toward his AARP card, why not?
Jayson Stark reported on Thursday night that a three-team deal was in the works that would send Martinez to Boston …
… Clay Buchholz to Cleveland and prospects flying in all directions …
The lack of detail in the supposed trade is because, according to Stark, the teams are still searching for a third party to make the pieces fit, including a landing spot for Boston’s recently acquired first baseman Adam LaRoche.
Stark writes that the Rays are also interested in Martinez, but that seems like a long shot.
That being said, it seems that the Dodgers and – of course – the Red Sox are the frontrunners.
The Dodgers have supposedly offered pitcher James McDonald and a host of minor leaguers, while Boston’s offer is believed to included Clay Buchholz (duh!) and either Justin Masterson, Michael Bowden or Lars Anderson, plus lesser prospects.
However, Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi continues to say Halladay is staying put. It’s just that no one is listening.
If the Padres want the moon for Heath Bell, what would they want for Gonzalez? Saturn, with a comet to be named later?
It seems implausible that San Diego would move the only player they have who is worth watching, especially when you consider they have him for a mere $4.75 million in 2010, plus a $5.5 million option in 2011.
Nonetheless, the rumors are flying that the Red Sox are trying to pry Gonzalez away from his life on the beach.
You won’t be surprised to learn that Clay Buchholz is among the names being mentioned, although it might take three or four Clay Buchholzes to land Gonzalez, and I don’t know if even Epstein can conjure up that many.
*Regarding Jarrod Washburn, the Yankees are interested, but the names initially thrown out there (Joba? Hughes?) are ridiculous to even think about.
*For his part, Newsday’s Ken Davidoff thinks the Yankees will stand pat.
*Brewers GM Doug Melvin sounds an awful lot like he’s throwing in the towel.
*The Marlins are making a push for Nick Johnson.
*Dodgers acquire reliever George Sherrill from Orioles.
*Cubs add some nice pitching depth, courtesy of Wal-Mart, errr, I mean the Pirates.
*The Giants appear to be finished making moves.
*The Mets are reportedly looking to buy, but don’t want to give up prospects. In related news, I’d like Omar Minaya’s job, but without ever having to apologize.
*With the news of Joel Zumaya’s season ending surgery, you might think the Tigers will pursue a reliever, but Jason Beck of MLB.com writes that a starter or hitter would be more likely, and smarter.
*The Tigers trade Josh Anderson to the Royals for some cash.
*For the latest, check out our rumors page.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)