Aug 1, 2009, 1:43 PM EDT
“Biggest balls in the game.”
– One baseball executive measures up White Sox general manager Ken Williams after his shocking trade for Jake Peavy on Friday.
“I’m kind of glad I didn’t throw a no-hitter. If I did that the first time, I’d have to live up to some high expectations.”
– Cliff Lee, after tossing a complete-game four-hitter in his Phillies debut against the Giants on Friday night.
“If Chipper (Jones) was a good teammate, he’d send his plane up here to get me.”
– Stranded in Baltimore, Adam LaRoche tries to find a way to Atlanta.
“It’s tough because I’m leaving my house. This was my house. It’s really tough.”
– Victor Martinez reacts after being traded by the team that signed him at the age of 17.
“It’s a helpless feeling knowing you
have no say in whatever goes on, to get here today and walk around not
knowing what’s going on.”
– The subject of trade rumors all week, Clay Buchholz was relieved to still be a Red Sox when the smoke cleared.
“We are not rebuilding. This is a team that, in my opinion, is not far away from being a good, solid baseball team.”
– Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo explains his line of thinking, however irrational it may be, for deciding to keep veterans Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (101)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)