Aug 1, 2009, 1:43 PM EST
“Biggest balls in the game.”
- One baseball executive measures up White Sox general manager Ken Williams after his shocking trade for Jake Peavy on Friday.
“I’m kind of glad I didn’t throw a no-hitter. If I did that the first time, I’d have to live up to some high expectations.”
- Cliff Lee, after tossing a complete-game four-hitter in his Phillies debut against the Giants on Friday night.
“If Chipper (Jones) was a good teammate, he’d send his plane up here to get me.”
- Stranded in Baltimore, Adam LaRoche tries to find a way to Atlanta.
“It’s tough because I’m leaving my house. This was my house. It’s really tough.”
- Victor Martinez reacts after being traded by the team that signed him at the age of 17.
“It’s a helpless feeling knowing you
have no say in whatever goes on, to get here today and walk around not
knowing what’s going on.”
- The subject of trade rumors all week, Clay Buchholz was relieved to still be a Red Sox when the smoke cleared.
“We are not rebuilding. This is a team that, in my opinion, is not far away from being a good, solid baseball team.”
- Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo explains his line of thinking, however irrational it may be, for deciding to keep veterans Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (83)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)