Aug 1, 2009, 1:43 PM EDT
“Biggest balls in the game.”
– One baseball executive measures up White Sox general manager Ken Williams after his shocking trade for Jake Peavy on Friday.
“I’m kind of glad I didn’t throw a no-hitter. If I did that the first time, I’d have to live up to some high expectations.”
– Cliff Lee, after tossing a complete-game four-hitter in his Phillies debut against the Giants on Friday night.
“If Chipper (Jones) was a good teammate, he’d send his plane up here to get me.”
– Stranded in Baltimore, Adam LaRoche tries to find a way to Atlanta.
“It’s tough because I’m leaving my house. This was my house. It’s really tough.”
– Victor Martinez reacts after being traded by the team that signed him at the age of 17.
“It’s a helpless feeling knowing you
have no say in whatever goes on, to get here today and walk around not
knowing what’s going on.”
– The subject of trade rumors all week, Clay Buchholz was relieved to still be a Red Sox when the smoke cleared.
“We are not rebuilding. This is a team that, in my opinion, is not far away from being a good, solid baseball team.”
– Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo explains his line of thinking, however irrational it may be, for deciding to keep veterans Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)