Aug 1, 2009, 1:43 PM EDT
“Biggest balls in the game.”
– One baseball executive measures up White Sox general manager Ken Williams after his shocking trade for Jake Peavy on Friday.
“I’m kind of glad I didn’t throw a no-hitter. If I did that the first time, I’d have to live up to some high expectations.”
– Cliff Lee, after tossing a complete-game four-hitter in his Phillies debut against the Giants on Friday night.
“If Chipper (Jones) was a good teammate, he’d send his plane up here to get me.”
– Stranded in Baltimore, Adam LaRoche tries to find a way to Atlanta.
“It’s tough because I’m leaving my house. This was my house. It’s really tough.”
– Victor Martinez reacts after being traded by the team that signed him at the age of 17.
“It’s a helpless feeling knowing you
have no say in whatever goes on, to get here today and walk around not
knowing what’s going on.”
– The subject of trade rumors all week, Clay Buchholz was relieved to still be a Red Sox when the smoke cleared.
“We are not rebuilding. This is a team that, in my opinion, is not far away from being a good, solid baseball team.”
– Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo explains his line of thinking, however irrational it may be, for deciding to keep veterans Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)