Aug 1, 2009, 2:00 AM EDT
Instead of listing all the big trades from Friday, I’m going to direct you here for a roundup of the moves, complete with analysis.
And while you’re contemplating the fortunes of your favorite team, let’s ponder the huge deal that was discussed on Friday. A deal that was closer to happening than anyone believed, including yours truly.
As was reported both here by Jon Heyman, and here by Danny Knobler the Dodgers discussed a deal with the Padres in which they would acquire Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell for James Loney, Russell Martin, James McDonald, Blake DeWitt and Ivan DeJesus Jr.
Apparently, the Dodgers called the Padres to inquire about Bell, only to find that San Diego was looking to package their All-Stars together. In the end, the Dodgers turned down the offer.
One would’ve thought the Padres would never make a deal with their hated rivals up the road. And I know it’s a moot point to discuss something that didn’t happen. But it is fun to think about what could have been.
Who do you think would have gotten the better of such a deal? Would the revamped Dodgers roll to a championship? Or would the roster upheaval have been too much?
Talk amongst yourselves.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)