Aug 1, 2009, 2:00 AM EDT
Instead of listing all the big trades from Friday, I’m going to direct you here for a roundup of the moves, complete with analysis.
And while you’re contemplating the fortunes of your favorite team, let’s ponder the huge deal that was discussed on Friday. A deal that was closer to happening than anyone believed, including yours truly.
As was reported both here by Jon Heyman, and here by Danny Knobler the Dodgers discussed a deal with the Padres in which they would acquire Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell for James Loney, Russell Martin, James McDonald, Blake DeWitt and Ivan DeJesus Jr.
Apparently, the Dodgers called the Padres to inquire about Bell, only to find that San Diego was looking to package their All-Stars together. In the end, the Dodgers turned down the offer.
One would’ve thought the Padres would never make a deal with their hated rivals up the road. And I know it’s a moot point to discuss something that didn’t happen. But it is fun to think about what could have been.
Who do you think would have gotten the better of such a deal? Would the revamped Dodgers roll to a championship? Or would the roster upheaval have been too much?
Talk amongst yourselves.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 34
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'