Aug 1, 2009, 2:00 AM EST
Instead of listing all the big trades from Friday, I’m going to direct you here for a roundup of the moves, complete with analysis.
And while you’re contemplating the fortunes of your favorite team, let’s ponder the huge deal that was discussed on Friday. A deal that was closer to happening than anyone believed, including yours truly.
As was reported both here by Jon Heyman, and here by Danny Knobler the Dodgers discussed a deal with the Padres in which they would acquire Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell for James Loney, Russell Martin, James McDonald, Blake DeWitt and Ivan DeJesus Jr.
Apparently, the Dodgers called the Padres to inquire about Bell, only to find that San Diego was looking to package their All-Stars together. In the end, the Dodgers turned down the offer.
One would’ve thought the Padres would never make a deal with their hated rivals up the road. And I know it’s a moot point to discuss something that didn’t happen. But it is fun to think about what could have been.
Who do you think would have gotten the better of such a deal? Would the revamped Dodgers roll to a championship? Or would the roster upheaval have been too much?
Talk amongst yourselves.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 10
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (129)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)