Aug 1, 2009, 2:00 AM EDT
Instead of listing all the big trades from Friday, I’m going to direct you here for a roundup of the moves, complete with analysis.
And while you’re contemplating the fortunes of your favorite team, let’s ponder the huge deal that was discussed on Friday. A deal that was closer to happening than anyone believed, including yours truly.
As was reported both here by Jon Heyman, and here by Danny Knobler the Dodgers discussed a deal with the Padres in which they would acquire Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell for James Loney, Russell Martin, James McDonald, Blake DeWitt and Ivan DeJesus Jr.
Apparently, the Dodgers called the Padres to inquire about Bell, only to find that San Diego was looking to package their All-Stars together. In the end, the Dodgers turned down the offer.
One would’ve thought the Padres would never make a deal with their hated rivals up the road. And I know it’s a moot point to discuss something that didn’t happen. But it is fun to think about what could have been.
Who do you think would have gotten the better of such a deal? Would the revamped Dodgers roll to a championship? Or would the roster upheaval have been too much?
Talk amongst yourselves.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)