Aug 1, 2009, 2:00 AM EDT
Instead of listing all the big trades from Friday, I’m going to direct you here for a roundup of the moves, complete with analysis.
And while you’re contemplating the fortunes of your favorite team, let’s ponder the huge deal that was discussed on Friday. A deal that was closer to happening than anyone believed, including yours truly.
As was reported both here by Jon Heyman, and here by Danny Knobler the Dodgers discussed a deal with the Padres in which they would acquire Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell for James Loney, Russell Martin, James McDonald, Blake DeWitt and Ivan DeJesus Jr.
Apparently, the Dodgers called the Padres to inquire about Bell, only to find that San Diego was looking to package their All-Stars together. In the end, the Dodgers turned down the offer.
One would’ve thought the Padres would never make a deal with their hated rivals up the road. And I know it’s a moot point to discuss something that didn’t happen. But it is fun to think about what could have been.
Who do you think would have gotten the better of such a deal? Would the revamped Dodgers roll to a championship? Or would the roster upheaval have been too much?
Talk amongst yourselves.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)