Aug 2, 2009, 6:43 PM EDT
- Melky Cabrera became the 15th player in Yankees history to hit for the cycle in an 8-5 win over the White Sox this afternoon. He’s the first Yankee to accomplish the feat since Tony Fernandez in 1995.
- Just this morning, I wrote that Victor Martinez had a .198 batting average since June 4, but he broke out in a big way in his catching debut with the Red Sox, going 5-for-6 with four RBI in an 18-10 win over the Orioles. Go figure.
- James Shields tossed seven hitless innings, but lost the no-hit bid and the game by giving up two runs in the eighth, as part of a 4-1 loss to the Royals this afternoon.
- The Reds got quite a scare this afternoon when Scott Rolen was
plunked on the helmet by Colorado pitcher Jason Marquis. But no
worries, it looks like he’s just fine.
- In additon to 2008 first-round draft pick Brian Matusz likely making his major league debut for the Orioles on Tuesday night, Neftali Feliz, one of the top pitching prospects in the game, could join the Rangers roster as early as Sunday.
- And Matt Holliday, well…he finally took his first 0-fer this afternoon. Dude’s human.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 9
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 177
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (180)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)