Aug 2, 2009, 6:43 PM EST
– Melky Cabrera became the 15th player in Yankees history to hit for the cycle in an 8-5 win over the White Sox this afternoon. He’s the first Yankee to accomplish the feat since Tony Fernandez in 1995.
– Just this morning, I wrote that Victor Martinez had a .198 batting average since June 4, but he broke out in a big way in his catching debut with the Red Sox, going 5-for-6 with four RBI in an 18-10 win over the Orioles. Go figure.
– James Shields tossed seven hitless innings, but lost the no-hit bid and the game by giving up two runs in the eighth, as part of a 4-1 loss to the Royals this afternoon.
– The Reds got quite a scare this afternoon when Scott Rolen was
plunked on the helmet by Colorado pitcher Jason Marquis. But no
worries, it looks like he’s just fine.
– In additon to 2008 first-round draft pick Brian Matusz likely making his major league debut for the Orioles on Tuesday night, Neftali Feliz, one of the top pitching prospects in the game, could join the Rangers roster as early as Sunday.
– And Matt Holliday, well…he finally took his first 0-fer this afternoon. Dude’s human.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)