Aug 3, 2009, 4:15 PM EDT
Last weekend in this space, I had a pretty hard time advocating the Reds going after 34-year-old oft-injured third baseman Scott Rolen. Could you blame me?
2006 – 142
2008 – 115
That’s an average of 106 games played.
To his credit, Rolen has put together a nice comeback season, hitting
.314/.366/.468 with eight homers and 43 RBI. It was enough for Walt
Jocketty, his former general manager in St. Louis, to bring him to
Cincinnati in exchange for third baseman Edwin Encarnacion along with
prospects Josh Roenicke and Zach Stewart.
The fact that Rolen is already out of action on Monday after getting
hit by a pitch on Sunday is purely coincidental to my original point.
Worse yet, Walt Jocketty sold low on Encarnacion, a 26-year-old slugger
who is batting .205/.324/.361 with five homers an 16 RBI in an injury
plagued season. Teams like Cincinnati, by all accounts out of the race,
should be buying low on talents like Encarnacion, not buying high on
deteriorating players like Rolen.
Just sayin, Cincinnati.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)