Aug 5, 2009, 9:30 AM EDT
I’m a big fan of Hank Aaron, and I’m sure his heart is in the right place with this, but he’s way wrong here:
The former home run king favors releasing the full list of players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003 . . . “I wish for once and forever that we could come out and say we have 100 and some names, name them all and get it over and let baseball go on,” Aaron said. “I don’t know how they keep leaking out. I just wish that they would name them all and get it over with.”
As I wrote last week, the fact that these names still exist on a list is attributable to a serial violation of the players’ rights, and the act of releasing the names — be it via a leak or by some misguided attempt at attaining closure — is a far worse offense than their taking of PEDs in the first place.
My biggest concern in all of this is that as more and more people ignorantly speak out in favor of releasing the names, those who are breaking the law by leaking will feel more and more comfortable engaging in their illegalities and feel justified in leaking even more (“Hey, Hank Aaron says it’s OK . . .”).
I’m just some dumb lawyer/blogger and no one is going to listen to me, but someone — anyone — in a position of moral authority in baseball needs to educate folks about what “releasing the names” really means, and how the issues it invokes are much bigger than baseball.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 18
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)