Aug 5, 2009, 4:32 PM EDT
* CBS2.com in Los Angeles has some footage of an irate Prince Fielder trying to force his way into the Dodgers’ clubhouse to confront Guillermo Mota after being plunked with one out remaining in a 17-4 blowout last night. It took two teammates and a security guard to stop the 270-pound Fielder, who was still in uniform.
* Because the Mets won’t be satisfied until every player in the entire organization is on the disabled list, Jon Niese left this afternoon’s start in the second inning with a hamstring strain. We’re like two more injuries away from Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez coming out of the broadcast booth to play.
* Jason Giambi is ready to come off the disabled list, but the A’s may not want him back after the 38-year-old hit just .193/.332/.364 through 328 plate appearances.
* Chico Harlan of the Washington Post has an interesting look at the last remaining trace of the Expos.
* Jared Remy, who was recently fired by the Red Sox after being implicated in steroid use, revealed yesterday that his father and television announcer Jerry Remy is now cancer free.
* If you’re into Twitter, check me out
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 48
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 52
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (159)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)