Aug 5, 2009, 4:32 PM EST
* CBS2.com in Los Angeles has some footage of an irate Prince Fielder trying to force his way into the Dodgers’ clubhouse to confront Guillermo Mota after being plunked with one out remaining in a 17-4 blowout last night. It took two teammates and a security guard to stop the 270-pound Fielder, who was still in uniform.
* Because the Mets won’t be satisfied until every player in the entire organization is on the disabled list, Jon Niese left this afternoon’s start in the second inning with a hamstring strain. We’re like two more injuries away from Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez coming out of the broadcast booth to play.
* Jason Giambi is ready to come off the disabled list, but the A’s may not want him back after the 38-year-old hit just .193/.332/.364 through 328 plate appearances.
* Chico Harlan of the Washington Post has an interesting look at the last remaining trace of the Expos.
* Jared Remy, who was recently fired by the Red Sox after being implicated in steroid use, revealed yesterday that his father and television announcer Jerry Remy is now cancer free.
* If you’re into Twitter, check me out
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (201)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)