Aug 5, 2009, 5:11 PM EDT
- After playing a dramatic 13-inning game Tuesday, the Red Sox and Rays will be looking for long outings from their starters tonight. Unfortunately for them, Brad Penny and David Price aren’t very good bets to turn them in. Penny has averaged 5.5 innings per start while going 7-5 with a 5.07 ERA. He’s yet to go seven full innings this year. Price did pitch seven innings last time out, doing so for the second time this year. However, that was against the Royals. He’s averaged 5.0 innings on is way to a 4-4 record and a 5.10 ERA.
- It probably wouldn’t have made the list under normal circumstances, but tonight’s Brewers-Dodgers game could feature fireworks if there’s still some fight left in Prince Fielder after he tried to charge the Dodger clubhouse following Tuesday’s game. Perhaps Fielder will simply let his bat do the talking against the Dodgers’ Jason Schmidt, who has been throwing 85-88 mph since returning last month. Dodger bats should make some noise as well. Braden Looper has allowed 11 runs over 11 innings in his last two starts, and he gave up four homers when he faced Los Angeles back on July 10.
Game of the Night
Colorado vs. Philadelphia – Two of the game’s hottest left-handers will face off as the Phillies try to break a three-game losing streak. They’ll turn to J.A. Happ, who has lost two in a row since his 7-0 start. Run support has played a big role there, though, as the Phillies scored a total of one run in the two losses. Happ had a 2.93 ERA and a 1.05 ERA during July. Rockies starter Jorge De La Rosa was 5-0 with a 2.50 ERA last month. He’s won seven starts in a row and lowered his ERA from 5.81 to 4.68 in the process.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)