Aug 6, 2009, 9:16 AM EST
Penny, Smoltz, Paul Byrd. Tell me, wasn’t the Red Sox’ strength supposed to be their deep, deep starting pitching talent?
In case Brad Penny’s start last night did not convince you the Red Sox are a little light on starting pitching now, a late-breaking development should have nailed that case shut for you. In the waning moments of the Red Sox’ 6-4 loss to the Rays, team officials notified the media that Paul Byrd had been signed to a minor league deal.
Good luck with that. And good luck against the Yankees with John Smoltz on the hill. Maybe Theo will sign Jose Lima in the closing innings of that one. Unlike Byrd, at least some other teams have recently found him to be desirable.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)