Aug 6, 2009, 8:58 AM EST
Remember the ugly business with Brian Giles and the palimony suit and the physical abuse and all of that? Some of it may be going away soon:
The attorney for Brian Giles’ ex-girlfriend has asked to be dropped from her $10 million palimony suit against the Padres outfielder, citing a breakdown in communication with his client. Cary Goldstein, whose aggressive tactics often irked the Giles team, wrote in court papers that he and his client, Cheri Olvera, “are not able to communicate effectively.” He also said Olvera has not complied with certain terms of their retainer agreement. Olvera sued Giles last year, accusing him of a string of abuse while they were together. Some of her claims were corroborated with witness statements, including from a Phoenix bar in August 2006.
While there are a lot of reasons a lawyer might withdraw from a case like this, when he or she cites “breakdown in communication” with the client, it usually suggests something that goes to the heart of the case. Things such as the client being a whack job or disingenuous or the evidence not really materializing or what have you. It also makes it really, really hard for the client to find a new lawyer. At least a decent one, because no one else wants a part of that kind of trouble. Upshot: the lawsuit against Giles may go away pretty soon.
Not that this exonerates Mr. Giles in any way, because that video of the incident in Phoenix — not to mention Giles’ guilty plea to misdemeanor domestic violence charges — speaks for itself, and quite loudly at that. So, Brian Giles: still a scumbag for abusing a woman, but possibly close to being out of the legal woods.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)