Aug 6, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
Remember the ugly business with Brian Giles and the palimony suit and the physical abuse and all of that? Some of it may be going away soon:
The attorney for Brian Giles’ ex-girlfriend has asked to be dropped from her $10 million palimony suit against the Padres outfielder, citing a breakdown in communication with his client. Cary Goldstein, whose aggressive tactics often irked the Giles team, wrote in court papers that he and his client, Cheri Olvera, “are not able to communicate effectively.” He also said Olvera has not complied with certain terms of their retainer agreement. Olvera sued Giles last year, accusing him of a string of abuse while they were together. Some of her claims were corroborated with witness statements, including from a Phoenix bar in August 2006.
While there are a lot of reasons a lawyer might withdraw from a case like this, when he or she cites “breakdown in communication” with the client, it usually suggests something that goes to the heart of the case. Things such as the client being a whack job or disingenuous or the evidence not really materializing or what have you. It also makes it really, really hard for the client to find a new lawyer. At least a decent one, because no one else wants a part of that kind of trouble. Upshot: the lawsuit against Giles may go away pretty soon.
Not that this exonerates Mr. Giles in any way, because that video of the incident in Phoenix — not to mention Giles’ guilty plea to misdemeanor domestic violence charges — speaks for itself, and quite loudly at that. So, Brian Giles: still a scumbag for abusing a woman, but possibly close to being out of the legal woods.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)