Aug 6, 2009, 10:43 AM EST
When the Cubs picked B.J. Ryan up off the scrap heap last month, some folks were hoping that he’d turn into this year’s version of the late-2008 Jim Edmonds. Unfortunately, he was more like this year’s version of the early-2008 Edmonds, and he has now asked for, and received, his release.
Don’t worry about him though. He’ll be very comfortable living off of the five-year, $47 million contract the Blue Jays rather foolishly gave him at the end of 2005.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)