Aug 6, 2009, 10:43 AM EDT
When the Cubs picked B.J. Ryan up off the scrap heap last month, some folks were hoping that he’d turn into this year’s version of the late-2008 Jim Edmonds. Unfortunately, he was more like this year’s version of the early-2008 Edmonds, and he has now asked for, and received, his release.
Don’t worry about him though. He’ll be very comfortable living off of the five-year, $47 million contract the Blue Jays rather foolishly gave him at the end of 2005.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)