Aug 6, 2009, 1:57 PM EDT
Mychael Urban of MLB.com is one of my favorite beat reporters because he writes stuff like this about the A’s not activating a healthy Jason Giambi from the disabled list.
Sensing the frustration of my various colleagues who’ve been trying to get to the bottom of this whole Jason Giambi thing, I finally just came out with the question everyone wants the answer to. Point-blank, I asked Bob Geren: Will Jason be on the active roster again this year?
If the answer is yes, you say yes, right? Of course you do. That’s easy. If the answer is no, but you don’t want to admit it, you hem and haw and haw and hem. Suffice to say Geren’s answer was not yes. It was: “Promising anything in this game if difficult to do.” Draw your own conclusions.
Oakland is in last place at 47-60. Giambi is 38 years old and hit .193 with a career-worst .697 OPS through 83 games before going on the DL. There’s no real reason for the A’s to keep him around at this point, but he’s making $4 million this season, has a $6.5 million option or $1.25 million buyout for 2010, and was a superstar in Oakland at the beginning of the decade, so the situation is somewhat complicated.
Perhaps the A’s will try to keep him on the shelf for as long as possible while taking a look at minor-league veteran Tommy Everidge at first base and then give Giambi some September starts as a nice sendoff once rosters expand? Whatever the case, as Urban’s little chat with the manager shows Giambi is ready to play again and the A’s are trying to avoid making a decision on his roster status.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 47
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 73
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)