Aug 6, 2009, 12:04 PM EDT
* Neftali Feliz’s second big-league outing didn’t go quite as well as his first, as he learned the hard way that even major-league hitters with just 66 homers in 4,822 career plate appearances can catch up to a 97-mph fastball.
* Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com has an update on the seemingly never-ending saga of Dominican prospect Miguel Angel Sano, whose age still hasn’t been verified and remains under investigation. Pittsburgh has long been considered the front-runner for Sano, who many consider the top international free agent available this year, but the Pirates have reportedly pulled their offer from the table. Basically, until his age is confirmed one way or another it’s very difficult for any team to move forward in negotiations.
* Clint Barmes has two hits in his last 43 at-bats and has gone 8-for-71 (.113) since the All-Star break, but for some reason manager Jim Tracy is sticking with the career .260/.300/.413 hitter as if big production is right around the corner once his epic slump ends.
* Injuries have wrecked the Mets’ roster to the point that they’re now bringing back scrubs from seasons past, like Anderson Hernandez.
* Unfortunately for the last-place Royals, cats are better than their hitters when it comes to getting on base at Kauffman Stadium.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)