Aug 6, 2009, 12:04 PM EDT
* Neftali Feliz’s second big-league outing didn’t go quite as well as his first, as he learned the hard way that even major-league hitters with just 66 homers in 4,822 career plate appearances can catch up to a 97-mph fastball.
* Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com has an update on the seemingly never-ending saga of Dominican prospect Miguel Angel Sano, whose age still hasn’t been verified and remains under investigation. Pittsburgh has long been considered the front-runner for Sano, who many consider the top international free agent available this year, but the Pirates have reportedly pulled their offer from the table. Basically, until his age is confirmed one way or another it’s very difficult for any team to move forward in negotiations.
* Clint Barmes has two hits in his last 43 at-bats and has gone 8-for-71 (.113) since the All-Star break, but for some reason manager Jim Tracy is sticking with the career .260/.300/.413 hitter as if big production is right around the corner once his epic slump ends.
* Injuries have wrecked the Mets’ roster to the point that they’re now bringing back scrubs from seasons past, like Anderson Hernandez.
* Unfortunately for the last-place Royals, cats are better than their hitters when it comes to getting on base at Kauffman Stadium.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 56
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)