Aug 6, 2009, 12:04 PM EDT
* Neftali Feliz’s second big-league outing didn’t go quite as well as his first, as he learned the hard way that even major-league hitters with just 66 homers in 4,822 career plate appearances can catch up to a 97-mph fastball.
* Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com has an update on the seemingly never-ending saga of Dominican prospect Miguel Angel Sano, whose age still hasn’t been verified and remains under investigation. Pittsburgh has long been considered the front-runner for Sano, who many consider the top international free agent available this year, but the Pirates have reportedly pulled their offer from the table. Basically, until his age is confirmed one way or another it’s very difficult for any team to move forward in negotiations.
* Clint Barmes has two hits in his last 43 at-bats and has gone 8-for-71 (.113) since the All-Star break, but for some reason manager Jim Tracy is sticking with the career .260/.300/.413 hitter as if big production is right around the corner once his epic slump ends.
* Injuries have wrecked the Mets’ roster to the point that they’re now bringing back scrubs from seasons past, like Anderson Hernandez.
* Unfortunately for the last-place Royals, cats are better than their hitters when it comes to getting on base at Kauffman Stadium.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)