Aug 6, 2009, 12:04 PM EDT
* Neftali Feliz’s second big-league outing didn’t go quite as well as his first, as he learned the hard way that even major-league hitters with just 66 homers in 4,822 career plate appearances can catch up to a 97-mph fastball.
* Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com has an update on the seemingly never-ending saga of Dominican prospect Miguel Angel Sano, whose age still hasn’t been verified and remains under investigation. Pittsburgh has long been considered the front-runner for Sano, who many consider the top international free agent available this year, but the Pirates have reportedly pulled their offer from the table. Basically, until his age is confirmed one way or another it’s very difficult for any team to move forward in negotiations.
* Clint Barmes has two hits in his last 43 at-bats and has gone 8-for-71 (.113) since the All-Star break, but for some reason manager Jim Tracy is sticking with the career .260/.300/.413 hitter as if big production is right around the corner once his epic slump ends.
* Injuries have wrecked the Mets’ roster to the point that they’re now bringing back scrubs from seasons past, like Anderson Hernandez.
* Unfortunately for the last-place Royals, cats are better than their hitters when it comes to getting on base at Kauffman Stadium.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)