Aug 6, 2009, 3:33 PM EDT
* Guillermo Mota intentionally plunked Prince Fielder with one out to go in a blowout Tuesday night, Russell Martin admitted afterward that manager Joe Torre ordered the hit, and Fielder tried to storm the Dodgers clubhouse following the game … and surprisingly no one received a suspension for any of it.
* Daisuke Matsuzaka backtracked yesterday on the statements he made last month suggesting that the Red Sox’s training program played a part in his arm problems. Interestingly, the original statements came from an interview he did with a Japanese writer, but yesterday’s follow-up came via what the Boston Herald called “his first-ever extended comments in English.”
* Random tidbit: Cubs backup catcher Koyie Hill started just five of 26 games from June 7 to July 6, but with Geovany Soto landing on the disabled list he’s started an amazing 26 straight games behind the plate since then. Thankfully for Hill’s well being, Soto is expected to come off the DL tomorrow.
* Jason Bay is expected to be sidelined until at least Saturday after aggravating his hamstring injury.
* Crazy story from Arizona: “A former assistant principal at a Valley school has been moonlighting as an escort” and “advertises $450 per hour for a ‘girlfriend experience.’” Oh, and she also happens to be the ex-wife of longtime Red Sox outfielder Troy O’Leary.
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 4
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 9
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 63
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 55
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)