Aug 6, 2009, 3:33 PM EDT
* Guillermo Mota intentionally plunked Prince Fielder with one out to go in a blowout Tuesday night, Russell Martin admitted afterward that manager Joe Torre ordered the hit, and Fielder tried to storm the Dodgers clubhouse following the game … and surprisingly no one received a suspension for any of it.
* Daisuke Matsuzaka backtracked yesterday on the statements he made last month suggesting that the Red Sox’s training program played a part in his arm problems. Interestingly, the original statements came from an interview he did with a Japanese writer, but yesterday’s follow-up came via what the Boston Herald called “his first-ever extended comments in English.”
* Random tidbit: Cubs backup catcher Koyie Hill started just five of 26 games from June 7 to July 6, but with Geovany Soto landing on the disabled list he’s started an amazing 26 straight games behind the plate since then. Thankfully for Hill’s well being, Soto is expected to come off the DL tomorrow.
* Jason Bay is expected to be sidelined until at least Saturday after aggravating his hamstring injury.
* Crazy story from Arizona: “A former assistant principal at a Valley school has been moonlighting as an escort” and “advertises $450 per hour for a ‘girlfriend experience.'” Oh, and she also happens to be the ex-wife of longtime Red Sox outfielder Troy O’Leary.
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)