Aug 6, 2009, 3:33 PM EST
* Guillermo Mota intentionally plunked Prince Fielder with one out to go in a blowout Tuesday night, Russell Martin admitted afterward that manager Joe Torre ordered the hit, and Fielder tried to storm the Dodgers clubhouse following the game … and surprisingly no one received a suspension for any of it.
* Daisuke Matsuzaka backtracked yesterday on the statements he made last month suggesting that the Red Sox’s training program played a part in his arm problems. Interestingly, the original statements came from an interview he did with a Japanese writer, but yesterday’s follow-up came via what the Boston Herald called “his first-ever extended comments in English.”
* Random tidbit: Cubs backup catcher Koyie Hill started just five of 26 games from June 7 to July 6, but with Geovany Soto landing on the disabled list he’s started an amazing 26 straight games behind the plate since then. Thankfully for Hill’s well being, Soto is expected to come off the DL tomorrow.
* Jason Bay is expected to be sidelined until at least Saturday after aggravating his hamstring injury.
* Crazy story from Arizona: “A former assistant principal at a Valley school has been moonlighting as an escort” and “advertises $450 per hour for a ‘girlfriend experience.'” Oh, and she also happens to be the ex-wife of longtime Red Sox outfielder Troy O’Leary.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)