Aug 6, 2009, 3:33 PM EDT
* Guillermo Mota intentionally plunked Prince Fielder with one out to go in a blowout Tuesday night, Russell Martin admitted afterward that manager Joe Torre ordered the hit, and Fielder tried to storm the Dodgers clubhouse following the game … and surprisingly no one received a suspension for any of it.
* Daisuke Matsuzaka backtracked yesterday on the statements he made last month suggesting that the Red Sox’s training program played a part in his arm problems. Interestingly, the original statements came from an interview he did with a Japanese writer, but yesterday’s follow-up came via what the Boston Herald called “his first-ever extended comments in English.”
* Random tidbit: Cubs backup catcher Koyie Hill started just five of 26 games from June 7 to July 6, but with Geovany Soto landing on the disabled list he’s started an amazing 26 straight games behind the plate since then. Thankfully for Hill’s well being, Soto is expected to come off the DL tomorrow.
* Jason Bay is expected to be sidelined until at least Saturday after aggravating his hamstring injury.
* Crazy story from Arizona: “A former assistant principal at a Valley school has been moonlighting as an escort” and “advertises $450 per hour for a ‘girlfriend experience.'” Oh, and she also happens to be the ex-wife of longtime Red Sox outfielder Troy O’Leary.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)