Aug 7, 2009, 8:40 AM EDT
Keeping in mind that last Friday’s trading deadline wasn’t actually a deadline, the Yankees have acquired Chad Gaudin from the Padres for the famous player to be named later (man, he gets dealt a lot). Gaudin is 4-10 with a 5.13 ERA, though his K-rate is strong. If he can just rein the wildness, he’ll be a pretty useful starter.
This could — and should — spell the end of the Sergio Mitre experiment, as not even a first place team like the Yankees can tolerate a four-inning starter like him for long. Personally I’d think about stretching Phil Hughes out for the role — he’s being wasted by throwing only 10 pitches an appearance — but given how much Yankees fans and writers like their high-profile setup men, that’s not going to happen. And of course, if it ain’t broke . . .
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona