Aug 7, 2009, 8:40 AM EDT
Keeping in mind that last Friday’s trading deadline wasn’t actually a deadline, the Yankees have acquired Chad Gaudin from the Padres for the famous player to be named later (man, he gets dealt a lot). Gaudin is 4-10 with a 5.13 ERA, though his K-rate is strong. If he can just rein the wildness, he’ll be a pretty useful starter.
This could — and should — spell the end of the Sergio Mitre experiment, as not even a first place team like the Yankees can tolerate a four-inning starter like him for long. Personally I’d think about stretching Phil Hughes out for the role — he’s being wasted by throwing only 10 pitches an appearance — but given how much Yankees fans and writers like their high-profile setup men, that’s not going to happen. And of course, if it ain’t broke . . .
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 43
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 18
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)