Aug 7, 2009, 8:40 AM EDT
Keeping in mind that last Friday’s trading deadline wasn’t actually a deadline, the Yankees have acquired Chad Gaudin from the Padres for the famous player to be named later (man, he gets dealt a lot). Gaudin is 4-10 with a 5.13 ERA, though his K-rate is strong. If he can just rein the wildness, he’ll be a pretty useful starter.
This could — and should — spell the end of the Sergio Mitre experiment, as not even a first place team like the Yankees can tolerate a four-inning starter like him for long. Personally I’d think about stretching Phil Hughes out for the role — he’s being wasted by throwing only 10 pitches an appearance — but given how much Yankees fans and writers like their high-profile setup men, that’s not going to happen. And of course, if it ain’t broke . . .
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)