Aug 7, 2009, 8:40 AM EDT
Keeping in mind that last Friday’s trading deadline wasn’t actually a deadline, the Yankees have acquired Chad Gaudin from the Padres for the famous player to be named later (man, he gets dealt a lot). Gaudin is 4-10 with a 5.13 ERA, though his K-rate is strong. If he can just rein the wildness, he’ll be a pretty useful starter.
This could — and should — spell the end of the Sergio Mitre experiment, as not even a first place team like the Yankees can tolerate a four-inning starter like him for long. Personally I’d think about stretching Phil Hughes out for the role — he’s being wasted by throwing only 10 pitches an appearance — but given how much Yankees fans and writers like their high-profile setup men, that’s not going to happen. And of course, if it ain’t broke . . .
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 25
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)