Aug 7, 2009, 10:04 AM EST
As I mentioned in the recaps, the Padres extended manager Bud Black yesterday. Probably a good move. Black appears to be well-liked in San Diego, and it’s not as if it’s his fault the Padres have the record they have. How about actually giving him a big league squad before passing judgment, ya know?
More interesting news from San Diego is that the Jake Peavy trade is already paying dividends. Last night Claton Richard turned in his second decent start since coming over — not spectacular, but certainly servicable and obviously good enough to win — and there may be more where that came from.
As a result of the Chad Gaudin trade, the Padres will need another starter next week. Here’s GM Kevin Towers: “It’s going to be someone from Triple-A. It might surprise you all.”
The most interesting name among the Padres’ current Triple-A starters is Aaron Poreda, a 22-year-old left-hander who also came to the Padres in the Peavy trade. Ozzie Guillen saw fit to only use him in relief ten times in the month and a half he was on the big club in Chicago. I understand wanting to protect him, especially given that the Sox have playoff hopes, but he should get a chance to start for the Padres. That big outfield in Petco Park provides a lot of protection for a young pitcher, and it’s not as if the Padres have any pressure-filled games left on their schedule. The fact that I have him on my Scoresheet roster and would love to see him in the bigs is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
As for the other part of that trade? Jake Peavy will probably make a rehab start on August 13th and could pitch in the majors on August 28th. Though don’t be surprised if that gets pushed out further if the Sox fall out of the race between now and then.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 94
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 32
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)