Aug 7, 2009, 8:10 AM EDT
We in the blogosphere get a lot of mileage out of ripping on print journalists, but Spink Award winner Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily news is one of the truly good ones. He knows baseball — specifically Reds’ baseball — better than you know your children, and unlike so many other writers who seem to have lost their love of the game years ago, McCoy’s enthusiasm was still apparent even after thirty-seven years on the beat.
Unfortunately, there will not be a year thirty-eight:
The newspaper told me today that it will no longer cover the Cincinnati Reds the same way it has in the past, beginning next season. And don’t blame the paper. It is the economic times and we’re all suffering. They just can’t afford the more than a quarter of a million dollars a year to send me coast-to-coast . . .
. . . Right now I’m on the back patio, enjoying a Tanqueray and tonic with my beautiful and supportive wife, Nadine. I’m sure it is the first of many tonight, so I wanted to get this down before I became incoherent.
Though McCoy is 68, he has not lost his fastball, and seeing a good guy like this be put out to pasture is sad indeed.
I understand the economics of it all, but losing guys like this is going to make understanding what’s happening and why with Reds baseball all the more difficult and all the less enjoyable.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 39
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)