Aug 7, 2009, 8:10 AM EDT
We in the blogosphere get a lot of mileage out of ripping on print journalists, but Spink Award winner Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily news is one of the truly good ones. He knows baseball — specifically Reds’ baseball — better than you know your children, and unlike so many other writers who seem to have lost their love of the game years ago, McCoy’s enthusiasm was still apparent even after thirty-seven years on the beat.
Unfortunately, there will not be a year thirty-eight:
The newspaper told me today that it will no longer cover the Cincinnati Reds the same way it has in the past, beginning next season. And don’t blame the paper. It is the economic times and we’re all suffering. They just can’t afford the more than a quarter of a million dollars a year to send me coast-to-coast . . .
. . . Right now I’m on the back patio, enjoying a Tanqueray and tonic with my beautiful and supportive wife, Nadine. I’m sure it is the first of many tonight, so I wanted to get this down before I became incoherent.
Though McCoy is 68, he has not lost his fastball, and seeing a good guy like this be put out to pasture is sad indeed.
I understand the economics of it all, but losing guys like this is going to make understanding what’s happening and why with Reds baseball all the more difficult and all the less enjoyable.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)