Aug 7, 2009, 12:41 PM EDT
* This is easily the greatest sentence I’ve read this week: “Prior to Tuesday night’s series opener against the Royals, the Mariners were told by Major League Baseball officials that the gladiator helmets the relievers have been toting around with them could no longer be taken onto the field, or be in the bullpen during games.”
* For the second time this season all 300 pounds of Bartolo Colon have gone missing from the White Sox and the “have you seen this man?” photo from the Chicago Sun-Times story is guaranteed to haunt your dreams. Seriously, you’ve been warned.
* My favorite mainstream newspaper sports columnist is now my favorite Sports Illustrated staffer who occasionally writes for a newspaper. Or something. Joe Posnanski has taken a senior writer position at SI and writing for the Kansas City Star will no longer be his primary gig, although he apparently plans to continue writing for the newspaper occasionally. Whatever the case, it’s a huge addition for SI and a huge loss for the people of Kansas City. Posnanski is one of his generation’s elite baseball writers.
* Bill James is one of the greatest, best selling, and most influential baseball writers of all time, with a 30-year catalog of amazing work, yet it’s 2009 and a high-profile columnist for one of country’s largest newspapers calls him “the stat geek who has made a fortune taking credit for having invented on-base percentage.” I’m not even sure where to begin with the wrongheadedness of that description, so I won’t even try, but wow are there some cranky, uninformed old dudes writing about sports.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)