Aug 7, 2009, 11:52 AM EDT
Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Twins have acquired Carl Pavano from the Indians for a player to be named later.
Between his 5.37 ERA and lengthy injury history most of my fellow Twins fans will probably mock the move, but Pavano has a 4.76 ERA and 87/20 K/BB ratio in 125 innings spread over 20 starts since his ugly first outing and his 4.15 Expected Fielding Independent Pitching (xFIP) would lead Minnesota’s rotation. Depending on the PTBNL, it’s a decent low-wattage pickup for a rotation that has really been struggling of late.
It’ll be interesting to see if Pavano’s arrival ends Francisco Liriano’s time in the rotation, because the Twins have certainly hinted at that move recently.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)