Aug 7, 2009, 4:52 PM EST
- Matt Cain and Jason Marquis have both failed twice and Johan Santana and Adam Wainwright once apiece, so now Tim Lincecum will have a shot at becoming the first NL pitcher to reach 13 victories. He’ll be facing the Reds for the first time in 80 career starts. I’m not positive about this, but with nine strikeouts tonight, it looks like he’ll be the earliest to get to 200 in a season since Randy Johnson’s 334-strikeout campaign in 2002. Erik Bedard got their on Aug. 15 in 2007.
- The Braves will attempt to recover from a devastating loss Thursday tonight in the second game of a four-game series in
- Carlos Lee will aim again for his 300th homer, this time against the Brewers’ Carlos Villanueva. He has four extra-base hits in his last three games, but all were doubles. He’s 4-for-13 with a homer against Villanueva in his career.
Game of the Night
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)