Aug 7, 2009, 4:52 PM EDT
- Matt Cain and Jason Marquis have both failed twice and Johan Santana and Adam Wainwright once apiece, so now Tim Lincecum will have a shot at becoming the first NL pitcher to reach 13 victories. He’ll be facing the Reds for the first time in 80 career starts. I’m not positive about this, but with nine strikeouts tonight, it looks like he’ll be the earliest to get to 200 in a season since Randy Johnson’s 334-strikeout campaign in 2002. Erik Bedard got their on Aug. 15 in 2007.
- The Braves will attempt to recover from a devastating loss Thursday tonight in the second game of a four-game series in
- Carlos Lee will aim again for his 300th homer, this time against the Brewers’ Carlos Villanueva. He has four extra-base hits in his last three games, but all were doubles. He’s 4-for-13 with a homer against Villanueva in his career.
Game of the Night
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 1
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 4
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)