Aug 7, 2009, 9:05 AM EDT
The Mets are apparently going to try to deal Billy Wagner. According to the article, he won’t be facing major league hitters for another ten days or so. With the postseason roster trade deadline of August 31st, that leaves less than two weeks for Wagner to show that he can get people out.
It often takes more than a year for a guy to really get his touch back following Tommy John surgery even if he’s otherwise feeling good and shows good velocity. Wagner had surgery on September 10th of last year. Even if he’s feeling great, I can’t really feature him looking so sharp between August 17th and the 31st that a playoff contender will really be interested, but I guess stranger things have happened.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)