Aug 7, 2009, 9:05 AM EDT
The Mets are apparently going to try to deal Billy Wagner. According to the article, he won’t be facing major league hitters for another ten days or so. With the postseason roster trade deadline of August 31st, that leaves less than two weeks for Wagner to show that he can get people out.
It often takes more than a year for a guy to really get his touch back following Tommy John surgery even if he’s otherwise feeling good and shows good velocity. Wagner had surgery on September 10th of last year. Even if he’s feeling great, I can’t really feature him looking so sharp between August 17th and the 31st that a playoff contender will really be interested, but I guess stranger things have happened.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)