Aug 9, 2009, 9:49 PM EDT
As Chris Parnell and Andy Samberg taught us, simply sounding angry on a “Lazy Sunday” can be immensely amusing.
In the baseball world, it’s even better when the rage is genuine, evidenced by a pair of volcanic meltdowns on Sunday.
I don’t know if it’s ever happened before, but the Phillies’ Shane Victorino at the very least accomplished something highly unusual, getting himself ejected against the Marlins while standing out in center field. (Watch the video here)
His crime? Waiving his arms after umpire Ed Rapuano called a pitch by Phillies hurler Rodrigo Lopez a ball. Rapuano sounded like a little boy in his comments after the game, saying, “but Mom, he wasn’t nice to me!” Just kidding. What he actually said was this:
“He’s right in the line of sight and he’s out in front of everybody, waving his arms in disgust of a pitch that I called. It is very simple.”
Victorino charged in from the outfield to, as he put it, “get my money’s worth,” shoving Phillies catcher Paul Bako out of the way in the process.
After the game, Victorino sounded contrite.
“I love Ed. He’s a great guy, one of the best umpires in the game,” Victorino said. “It’s unfortunate what happened. I let my emotions get the best of me. I hope Ed doesn’t hold it against me.”
Just be careful how you stretch, Shane. And don’t wave to any friends in the stands. Your movements might be misinterpreted.
The Marlins, by the way, swept the series to move within four games of the NL East leaders.
Elsewhere Sunday, Cubs manager Lou Piniella got himself tossed in the second inning by umpire Chris Guccione while arguing a double play called against the Cubs. Replays showed that Lou was right, and Rockies second baseman Clint Barmes was not touching the bag when he attempted to turn the double play.
Unlike Victorino, Piniella was in no mood to apologize.
“I don’t know how you can miss it,” Piniella said. “Look, obviously he was wrong, OK. We’ll leave it at that.
If you Twitter, and have at least a decent handle on your temper, follow me there at @bharks.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)