Aug 9, 2009, 9:56 AM EDT
“David’s a good friend. I’ve been there and done that. I’ve lived it.
Whatever he did, I hope he feels better about it. I certainly did once
I had my press conference.”
- Alex Rodriguez can sympathize with David Ortiz’s ordeal.
“I’m not confirming or denying any interest or any claims or anything. But if these things get out on a daily basis,
boy, it’s going to be a heck of an August around here in terms of how
many players you claim and how many you don’t claim. It will make your
head spin if you follow each report.”
- White Sox general manager Ken Williams downplays speculation that they were the club that put in a claim on Alex Rios.
“We’re coming the ballpark expecting to win now. That’s something that wasn’t here a couple weeks ago.”
- Unlikely words by reliever Sean Burnett as the Nationals have reeled off seven straight wins — their longest winning streak since June of 2005.
“He makes a lot of money, we traded a lot of people for him. He has to pitch.”
- Ozzie Guillen is all business when discussing Jake Peavy. The newly-acquired ace starts a rehab assignment on Thursday. It’s possible he could debut by the end of the month, but a September target date seems more realistic.
“We’re trying to find a lineup that will produce runs consistently, and if we find one, we’ll stay with it.”
- Lou Pinella, who used his 108th different lineup of the year in a 6-5 win over the Rockies on Saturday night.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)