Aug 9, 2009, 10:47 AM EDT
With the uncertainty surrounding Jed
Lowrie’s wrist injury, the Red Sox are growing increasingly desperate
to find an upgrade at the shortstop position. Case in point, a report
from the Boston Globe citing “major league sources” that they have put in a claim on Cristian Guzman.
Though the claim is not confirmed, it would mean the Red Sox 48 hours to work out a deal with the
Nationals. The Nationals could also decide to just give up Guzman’s contract or pull him back.
While Guzman ranks tenth in the
National League in batting this season, he also has a .333 on-base
percentage and has drawn just 11 walks in 402 plate appearances. He has
4.7% career walk rate — you know, Delmon Young and Jeff Francoeur
territory. Guzman is widely known as one of the least sure-handed shortstops in the majors (-6.3 UZR in his career).
The Nationals should be packing his bags already. Guzman is in the first year
of a two-year, $16 million dollar contract. If Mike Rizzo can get the
Red Sox to take on that contract, he just might get the “interim” tag
removed from his job title.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (205)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)