Aug 9, 2009, 10:47 AM EST
With the uncertainty surrounding Jed
Lowrie’s wrist injury, the Red Sox are growing increasingly desperate
to find an upgrade at the shortstop position. Case in point, a report
from the Boston Globe citing “major league sources” that they have put in a claim on Cristian Guzman.
Though the claim is not confirmed, it would mean the Red Sox 48 hours to work out a deal with the
Nationals. The Nationals could also decide to just give up Guzman’s contract or pull him back.
While Guzman ranks tenth in the
National League in batting this season, he also has a .333 on-base
percentage and has drawn just 11 walks in 402 plate appearances. He has
4.7% career walk rate — you know, Delmon Young and Jeff Francoeur
territory. Guzman is widely known as one of the least sure-handed shortstops in the majors (-6.3 UZR in his career).
The Nationals should be packing his bags already. Guzman is in the first year
of a two-year, $16 million dollar contract. If Mike Rizzo can get the
Red Sox to take on that contract, he just might get the “interim” tag
removed from his job title.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)