Aug 9, 2009, 10:47 AM EDT
With the uncertainty surrounding Jed
Lowrie’s wrist injury, the Red Sox are growing increasingly desperate
to find an upgrade at the shortstop position. Case in point, a report
from the Boston Globe citing “major league sources” that they have put in a claim on Cristian Guzman.
Though the claim is not confirmed, it would mean the Red Sox 48 hours to work out a deal with the
Nationals. The Nationals could also decide to just give up Guzman’s contract or pull him back.
While Guzman ranks tenth in the
National League in batting this season, he also has a .333 on-base
percentage and has drawn just 11 walks in 402 plate appearances. He has
4.7% career walk rate — you know, Delmon Young and Jeff Francoeur
territory. Guzman is widely known as one of the least sure-handed shortstops in the majors (-6.3 UZR in his career).
The Nationals should be packing his bags already. Guzman is in the first year
of a two-year, $16 million dollar contract. If Mike Rizzo can get the
Red Sox to take on that contract, he just might get the “interim” tag
removed from his job title.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)