And that, my friends, is B.J. Upton

Aug 10, 2009, 9:40 AM EST

B.J. Upton isn’t happy with being dropped in the Rays’ batting order:

B.J. Upton’s frustration with his poor season has been made worse by the sting of being dropped to the No. 9 spot in the Rays lineup. “It’s almost like a kick in the face,” Upton said.
Upton said he was “definitely” hurt by the further demotion
after being taken out of the leadoff slot last week, dropped initially
to seventh, then eighth and now ninth . . .

. . . “To go from being a leadoff guy and last year hitting (No.) 2, 3, maybe
4 … it’s just like I’m back where I started (as a 19-year-old rookie).
I was in the 9-hole, the 8-hole and kind of worked my way up,” Upton
said. “I know I’m not a 9-hitter. I know I’m not a bottom-of-the-order
type of guy.”

Hey B.J.: your .239/.314/.363 season suggest otherwise.

1. TaterTot - Aug 10, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Yeah you are a bottom-of-the-order type of guy, Upton. You are also a player that does not hustle. Appreciate what you have for pete’s sake and quit whining. You PLAY A GAME for a living. C’mon… grow up.

2. smsetnor - Aug 10, 2009 at 8:10 PM

It’s sad bc I have a man-crush on the Beej. And his brother. It used to clearly favor the older brother, but he does seem awfully lazy…
    Is what we saw in the playoffs his true potential?

3. Bob R. - Aug 11, 2009 at 6:03 AM

Upton is not whining. Read the entire conversation, and you will see he is not criticizing anyone but himself for being moved to the 9th spot and vows to work hard to move back up. The portion of the conversation cited above refers not to any sense of injustice but to a recognition of his own abilities and his determination to demonstrate them.
    As for hustle, this is now an old canard and absolutely untrue. He is an exceptionally hard worker and dedicated player. He has lapses, as do most players, but he plays hard both in the field and on the bases. There is nothing lazy about him.

4. Music downloads - Jan 13, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thanks – you cleared up some things for me!

5. Music downloads - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM

6. Mothercare - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I just couldnt leave your website before saying that I really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

7. NBA news - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5103)