Aug 10, 2009, 11:49 AM EDT
* Padres right-hander Chris Young has officially been shut down for the season because of a shoulder impingement that dropped his average fastball to 85.8 miles per hour. “We want Chris to take as much time as he needs and get him right in 2010,” general manager Kevin Towers said.
* Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports that Freddy Garcia could be an option for the White Sox when they need a fifth starter next on August 18. “He’s throwing really well,” said manager Ozzie Guillen, who also happens to be one of Garcia’s best friends.
* After going 5-3 with a 3.58 ERA and 66/19 K/BB ratio in 65 innings spread over 10 starts for the Long Beach Armada of the independent Golden Baseball League, 40-year-old Hideki Irabu has signed with an independent league team in Japan and will make his first start there next week.
* Speaking of independent leagues, 54-year-old former Royals speedster Willie Wilson will suit up for the Kansas City T-Bones of the Northern League next week. His one-day stint with the team is part of a fundraiser for the The Willie Wilson Foundation, which “conducts baseball camps and clinics for all boys and girls age 7-14 and teams with other organizations to provide services for children in need.” He has slightly more chance of making it back to the majors than Irabu.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 23
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 75
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)