Aug 10, 2009, 11:49 AM EDT
* Padres right-hander Chris Young has officially been shut down for the season because of a shoulder impingement that dropped his average fastball to 85.8 miles per hour. “We want Chris to take as much time as he needs and get him right in 2010,” general manager Kevin Towers said.
* Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports that Freddy Garcia could be an option for the White Sox when they need a fifth starter next on August 18. “He’s throwing really well,” said manager Ozzie Guillen, who also happens to be one of Garcia’s best friends.
* After going 5-3 with a 3.58 ERA and 66/19 K/BB ratio in 65 innings spread over 10 starts for the Long Beach Armada of the independent Golden Baseball League, 40-year-old Hideki Irabu has signed with an independent league team in Japan and will make his first start there next week.
* Speaking of independent leagues, 54-year-old former Royals speedster Willie Wilson will suit up for the Kansas City T-Bones of the Northern League next week. His one-day stint with the team is part of a fundraiser for the The Willie Wilson Foundation, which “conducts baseball camps and clinics for all boys and girls age 7-14 and teams with other organizations to provide services for children in need.” He has slightly more chance of making it back to the majors than Irabu.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 48
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 46
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 7
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months