Aug 10, 2009, 11:49 AM EDT
* Padres right-hander Chris Young has officially been shut down for the season because of a shoulder impingement that dropped his average fastball to 85.8 miles per hour. “We want Chris to take as much time as he needs and get him right in 2010,” general manager Kevin Towers said.
* Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports that Freddy Garcia could be an option for the White Sox when they need a fifth starter next on August 18. “He’s throwing really well,” said manager Ozzie Guillen, who also happens to be one of Garcia’s best friends.
* After going 5-3 with a 3.58 ERA and 66/19 K/BB ratio in 65 innings spread over 10 starts for the Long Beach Armada of the independent Golden Baseball League, 40-year-old Hideki Irabu has signed with an independent league team in Japan and will make his first start there next week.
* Speaking of independent leagues, 54-year-old former Royals speedster Willie Wilson will suit up for the Kansas City T-Bones of the Northern League next week. His one-day stint with the team is part of a fundraiser for the The Willie Wilson Foundation, which “conducts baseball camps and clinics for all boys and girls age 7-14 and teams with other organizations to provide services for children in need.” He has slightly more chance of making it back to the majors than Irabu.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)