Aug 10, 2009, 2:18 AM EST
On Friday, Matthew detailed the end of John Smoltz’s time in Boston, making a strong argument that the 42-year-old right-hander could still be of use to someone.
Turns out there are some teams out there that agree.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, Smoltz is attracting interest from some NL teams, as well as the Texas Rangers.
It is highly unlikely that any NL team would be willing to take Smoltz in a trade without some financial adjustment from the Red Sox, perhaps with Boston kicking in money to pay off a large portion of his base salary and roster bonus.
It also seems unlikely the Red Sox would make a deal with the Rangers, with whom they enter the week in a tie for the AL wild card lead. Unless, of course, they felt Smoltz would struggle for Texas the way he did in Boston.
But the NL might be a possibility, and there is also a chance that Smoltz will end up being released. It really all depends what the veteran pitcher wants to do with his career, or whether he’d rather start his march toward a likely enshrinement in Cooperstown.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)