Aug 10, 2009, 9:15 AM EDT
After a week the Dodgers would like to forget, and with a suddenly big series against the Giants looming next weekend, the Dodgers may be looking for an arm:
“They’re looking,” Torre said of the front office. “We talked about the waiver wire. There is a possibility that something can happen.”
Among the possibilities is right-hander Vicente Padilla, a former All-Star who the Rangers designated for assignment Friday despite an 8-6 record in 18 starts . . . Another possibility, given Torre’s affinity for battle-tested veterans, is right-hander John Smoltz, who the Red Sox designated for assignment Saturday.
It strikes me that a team who is having trouble scoring runs and loses games late due to bullpen implosions might have different priorities than looking at problem, castoff starting pitchers.
Not that there’s much you can do with the lineup. The Dodgers gotta live or die with the guys they have there at this point of the season, and reason — and the native talent of the hitters they have — suggests that they’re merely slumping. The bullpen is much more of a problem right now as Mota and Troncoso are getting lit up lately.
Smoltz to the pen? It could be worth thinking about. At least if someone else doesn’t snag him first.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)