Aug 10, 2009, 9:15 AM EST
After a week the Dodgers would like to forget, and with a suddenly big series against the Giants looming next weekend, the Dodgers may be looking for an arm:
“They’re looking,” Torre said of the front office. “We talked about the waiver wire. There is a possibility that something can happen.”
Among the possibilities is right-hander Vicente Padilla, a former All-Star who the Rangers designated for assignment Friday despite an 8-6 record in 18 starts . . . Another possibility, given Torre’s affinity for battle-tested veterans, is right-hander John Smoltz, who the Red Sox designated for assignment Saturday.
It strikes me that a team who is having trouble scoring runs and loses games late due to bullpen implosions might have different priorities than looking at problem, castoff starting pitchers.
Not that there’s much you can do with the lineup. The Dodgers gotta live or die with the guys they have there at this point of the season, and reason — and the native talent of the hitters they have — suggests that they’re merely slumping. The bullpen is much more of a problem right now as Mota and Troncoso are getting lit up lately.
Smoltz to the pen? It could be worth thinking about. At least if someone else doesn’t snag him first.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 15
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 53
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)