Aug 10, 2009, 9:15 AM EDT
After a week the Dodgers would like to forget, and with a suddenly big series against the Giants looming next weekend, the Dodgers may be looking for an arm:
“They’re looking,” Torre said of the front office. “We talked about the waiver wire. There is a possibility that something can happen.”
Among the possibilities is right-hander Vicente Padilla, a former All-Star who the Rangers designated for assignment Friday despite an 8-6 record in 18 starts . . . Another possibility, given Torre’s affinity for battle-tested veterans, is right-hander John Smoltz, who the Red Sox designated for assignment Saturday.
It strikes me that a team who is having trouble scoring runs and loses games late due to bullpen implosions might have different priorities than looking at problem, castoff starting pitchers.
Not that there’s much you can do with the lineup. The Dodgers gotta live or die with the guys they have there at this point of the season, and reason — and the native talent of the hitters they have — suggests that they’re merely slumping. The bullpen is much more of a problem right now as Mota and Troncoso are getting lit up lately.
Smoltz to the pen? It could be worth thinking about. At least if someone else doesn’t snag him first.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 67
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (148)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)