Aug 10, 2009, 10:20 AM EDT
RHP Troy Percival hasn’t announced his retirement, but after corresponding with him last week, manager Joe Maddon is under the impression his career is over.
“I think so,” Maddon said . . . Agent Paul Cohen said Sunday that no decision has been made but Percival has been having severe back problems and will see a specialist this week with the possibility of needing a fusion.
I have no idea what “a fusion” really entails, but it doesn’t sound like the sort of thing a 40 year-old pitcher comes back from.
Seeing Percival come back after missing the entire 2006 season was impressive, and the fact that he came back and pitched really really well for the Cardinals and decently enough for the Rays was even more impressive. He was one of the truly underrated closers during his decade with the Angels and will be missed.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)