Gary Sheffield's delusions continue

Aug 11, 2009, 10:27 AM EST

Yesterday Aaron called Gary Sheffield’s belief that he could hang around and get 3000 hits his “Delusion of the Day.” I think Gary is trying to start a streak:

Gary Sheffield wants to stay in New York despite the Mets’ struggles. “My preference is to stay here,” Sheffield said Monday night before the Mets played the Arizona Diamondbacks. He was out of the lineup because of a balky hamstring. “I don’t want to talk about” a trade . . . “If there ever was a time I thought I couldn’t play, that would be a time I would walk away,” he said. “But I still can hit 30 home runs. I can still hit in the middle of the order for a contending ball club.”

Really, is there a team out there seriously interested in trading for Gary Sheffield? The only contending ballclub whose order I could conceivably see him in is the Giants’, and that’s only if you work around the small matter of him not having the wheels to play the outfield in AT&T Park. And stay healthy. And contribute to a positive clubhouse atmosphere on a winning team.

Other than that, sure.

1. yankeesfanlen - Aug 11, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Maybe the Giants could use him, but if I’m reading the need right, there’s somebody unemployed- and younger waiting right across the Bay.
    Signed,
    Jason Giambi’s unpaid agent.

2. John from West L.A. - Aug 11, 2009 at 1:23 PM

>>Jason Giambi’s unpaid agent.
    Well, if the Giants wanted to go the steroid route, could they just bring back Barry Bonds.

3. Ball Fan From Cal - Aug 11, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Sheffield worked out with Bonds
    and his Pharma/Trainers at Balco.
    Many think that Sheffield was on
    the juice too.
    Sheffield’s numbers cratered
    and his injuries increased
    when MLB went to mandatory drug testing.

4. Sheff Sux - Aug 11, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Sheffield WAS on the juice, he just insists that the Cream and the Clear aren’t steroids because he didn’t inject them! It’s not even speculation with him.

5. Ravens Fan - Aug 11, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Judging by some of the moves Baltimore has made over the last several years they’d probably give up 3 starters and 2 prospects for Sheffield.

6. angels fan saint michael - Aug 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM

i think the la angels should trade for jays pitcher halladay

7. link wheels - Jan 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Informative and entertaining. I’ve added your blog to my “reading material.” Keep me updated!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester