Aug 11, 2009, 11:11 PM EDT
So Jamie Moyer feels “misled” by the Philadelphia Phillies, and “disheartened” by his demotion to the bullpen, a result of his own pitching struggles and the arrival of Pedro Martinez.
As I am approaching middle age, I can relate a little bit to what Moyer is going through. When you get older, you tend to forget things, such as:
Your last start: 5 innings, 11 hits, and miraculously only 2 runs allowed.
Your season pitching line: 10-9 with a 5.47 ERA, 1.508 WHIP.
Where you left your car keys: In the basket by the phone, dummy.
Most importantly, you forget that your employer was kind (or dumb) enough to lavish a 2-year, $13 million contract on a guy who had just turned 46. Was anyone else out there dangling a two-year deal? Didn’t think so. Heck, Bobby Abreu couldn’t even get a two-year contract to his liking.
Odds are that Martinez won’t be much better than Moyer. Perhaps, even worse. A flip-flopping of roles for Moyer and Martinez isn’t out of the question. But until then, it’s best to suck it up and zip your lip for the good of the team.
If there is one thing I’ve learned from those older than me, it’s that life isn’t always fair.
If you Twitter, and are a fan of grumpy old people like Jamie Moyer and Dana Carvey, you can follow me at @bharks.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)