Aug 11, 2009, 11:11 PM EST
So Jamie Moyer feels “misled” by the Philadelphia Phillies, and “disheartened” by his demotion to the bullpen, a result of his own pitching struggles and the arrival of Pedro Martinez.
As I am approaching middle age, I can relate a little bit to what Moyer is going through. When you get older, you tend to forget things, such as:
Your last start: 5 innings, 11 hits, and miraculously only 2 runs allowed.
Your season pitching line: 10-9 with a 5.47 ERA, 1.508 WHIP.
Where you left your car keys: In the basket by the phone, dummy.
Most importantly, you forget that your employer was kind (or dumb) enough to lavish a 2-year, $13 million contract on a guy who had just turned 46. Was anyone else out there dangling a two-year deal? Didn’t think so. Heck, Bobby Abreu couldn’t even get a two-year contract to his liking.
Odds are that Martinez won’t be much better than Moyer. Perhaps, even worse. A flip-flopping of roles for Moyer and Martinez isn’t out of the question. But until then, it’s best to suck it up and zip your lip for the good of the team.
If there is one thing I’ve learned from those older than me, it’s that life isn’t always fair.
If you Twitter, and are a fan of grumpy old people like Jamie Moyer and Dana Carvey, you can follow me at @bharks.
- Chris Sale suffered a foot injury 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)