Aug 11, 2009, 11:11 PM EDT
So Jamie Moyer feels “misled” by the Philadelphia Phillies, and “disheartened” by his demotion to the bullpen, a result of his own pitching struggles and the arrival of Pedro Martinez.
As I am approaching middle age, I can relate a little bit to what Moyer is going through. When you get older, you tend to forget things, such as:
Your last start: 5 innings, 11 hits, and miraculously only 2 runs allowed.
Your season pitching line: 10-9 with a 5.47 ERA, 1.508 WHIP.
Where you left your car keys: In the basket by the phone, dummy.
Most importantly, you forget that your employer was kind (or dumb) enough to lavish a 2-year, $13 million contract on a guy who had just turned 46. Was anyone else out there dangling a two-year deal? Didn’t think so. Heck, Bobby Abreu couldn’t even get a two-year contract to his liking.
Odds are that Martinez won’t be much better than Moyer. Perhaps, even worse. A flip-flopping of roles for Moyer and Martinez isn’t out of the question. But until then, it’s best to suck it up and zip your lip for the good of the team.
If there is one thing I’ve learned from those older than me, it’s that life isn’t always fair.
If you Twitter, and are a fan of grumpy old people like Jamie Moyer and Dana Carvey, you can follow me at @bharks.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)