Aug 11, 2009, 11:11 PM EDT
So Jamie Moyer feels “misled” by the Philadelphia Phillies, and “disheartened” by his demotion to the bullpen, a result of his own pitching struggles and the arrival of Pedro Martinez.
As I am approaching middle age, I can relate a little bit to what Moyer is going through. When you get older, you tend to forget things, such as:
Your last start: 5 innings, 11 hits, and miraculously only 2 runs allowed.
Your season pitching line: 10-9 with a 5.47 ERA, 1.508 WHIP.
Where you left your car keys: In the basket by the phone, dummy.
Most importantly, you forget that your employer was kind (or dumb) enough to lavish a 2-year, $13 million contract on a guy who had just turned 46. Was anyone else out there dangling a two-year deal? Didn’t think so. Heck, Bobby Abreu couldn’t even get a two-year contract to his liking.
Odds are that Martinez won’t be much better than Moyer. Perhaps, even worse. A flip-flopping of roles for Moyer and Martinez isn’t out of the question. But until then, it’s best to suck it up and zip your lip for the good of the team.
If there is one thing I’ve learned from those older than me, it’s that life isn’t always fair.
If you Twitter, and are a fan of grumpy old people like Jamie Moyer and Dana Carvey, you can follow me at @bharks.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy