Aug 11, 2009, 2:52 PM EST
* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Dodgers and Brewers are “kicking the tires” on Vicente Padilla, who was designated for assignment by the Rangers.
* Picking up Russell Branyan on the cheap was one of rookie Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik’s first moves and has turned out brilliantly, as the perennial part-time player has hit .255/.354/.535 with 27 homers through 99 games in a full-time role. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that the Mariners face a decision on whether to re-sign Branyan now that his value is rising.
* Bill Chastain of MLB.com has a very interesting article about the Rays allowing B.J. Upton to play the shallowest center field in all of baseball.
* Now that he’s starting to hit better and play more Magglio Ordonez is closing in on the 540 plate appearances required to trigger his $18 million option for next season. Obviously the Tigers want to avoid paying him that much in 2010, but benching him down the stretch in a pennant race may prove tricky.
* Daniel Herrera is 5-foot-6 on a good day and is one of the few pitchers to regularly throw a screwball, so it’s easy to see why he’s among my favorite players.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)