Aug 11, 2009, 2:52 PM EDT
* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Dodgers and Brewers are “kicking the tires” on Vicente Padilla, who was designated for assignment by the Rangers.
* Picking up Russell Branyan on the cheap was one of rookie Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik’s first moves and has turned out brilliantly, as the perennial part-time player has hit .255/.354/.535 with 27 homers through 99 games in a full-time role. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that the Mariners face a decision on whether to re-sign Branyan now that his value is rising.
* Bill Chastain of MLB.com has a very interesting article about the Rays allowing B.J. Upton to play the shallowest center field in all of baseball.
* Now that he’s starting to hit better and play more Magglio Ordonez is closing in on the 540 plate appearances required to trigger his $18 million option for next season. Obviously the Tigers want to avoid paying him that much in 2010, but benching him down the stretch in a pennant race may prove tricky.
* Daniel Herrera is 5-foot-6 on a good day and is one of the few pitchers to regularly throw a screwball, so it’s easy to see why he’s among my favorite players.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)