Aug 11, 2009, 11:42 AM EST
* Yesterday was an expensive one for White Sox general manager Ken Williams. Not only did he drop $60 million on Alex Rios, he also got a $56 jaywalking ticket for illegally crossing a street in front of Safeco Field in Seattle.
* After appearing in four games as a reliever since his call-up last month, 21-year-old Rockies prospect Jhoulys Chacin will make his first big-league start tonight against the Pirates.
* Bill Ladson of MLB.com confirmed that Cristian Guzman has cleared waivers, but also reports that “the Nationals have no intentions of trading Guzman.” Apparently the Red Sox will have to look elsewhere for shortstop help.
* Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculates that Rich Aurilia will be let go by the Giants after having a conversation with bench coach Ron Wotus that “ended with the two men hugging.” Aurilia is hitting just .222 with a .565 OPS in 119 plate appearances, but ranks 15th in Giants history with 1,281 games played.
* Scott Spiezio has signed with the Orange County Flyers of the independent Golden Baseball League, where the 37-year-old former World Series hero joins Robert Fick, Damian Jackson, and Ben Johnson in playing for manager Phil Nevin.
* Splash News has photos of Alex Rodriguez’s girlfriend, Kate Hudson, hanging out with the Yankees’ wives. The blurb attached to the pictures amused me, because it was clearly written by someone who’s never watched a baseball game: “Maybe Kate is his A-Rod’s luck charm? He’s averaging more points now than his season average.” Heh.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (88)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)