Aug 11, 2009, 11:42 AM EST
* Yesterday was an expensive one for White Sox general manager Ken Williams. Not only did he drop $60 million on Alex Rios, he also got a $56 jaywalking ticket for illegally crossing a street in front of Safeco Field in Seattle.
* After appearing in four games as a reliever since his call-up last month, 21-year-old Rockies prospect Jhoulys Chacin will make his first big-league start tonight against the Pirates.
* Bill Ladson of MLB.com confirmed that Cristian Guzman has cleared waivers, but also reports that “the Nationals have no intentions of trading Guzman.” Apparently the Red Sox will have to look elsewhere for shortstop help.
* Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculates that Rich Aurilia will be let go by the Giants after having a conversation with bench coach Ron Wotus that “ended with the two men hugging.” Aurilia is hitting just .222 with a .565 OPS in 119 plate appearances, but ranks 15th in Giants history with 1,281 games played.
* Scott Spiezio has signed with the Orange County Flyers of the independent Golden Baseball League, where the 37-year-old former World Series hero joins Robert Fick, Damian Jackson, and Ben Johnson in playing for manager Phil Nevin.
* Splash News has photos of Alex Rodriguez’s girlfriend, Kate Hudson, hanging out with the Yankees’ wives. The blurb attached to the pictures amused me, because it was clearly written by someone who’s never watched a baseball game: “Maybe Kate is his A-Rod’s luck charm? He’s averaging more points now than his season average.” Heh.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)