Aug 11, 2009, 3:22 AM EDT
The New York Mets deserve a new sponsor. How about Chico’s Bail Bonds?
After sleepwalking through another loss on Monday, this time to the mighty Arizona Diamondbacks, manager Jerry Manuel took the time to rip his players, and for good reason, too.
“We were a bad team tonight,” Mets manager Jerry Manuel said. “We didn’t pitch well. They had a couple of hustle plays on us. Very poor game. Very poor effort on our part. There has to come a time where there is some consistency. We are just not getting that.”
The mistakes included Daniel Murphy failing to cover first on a routine double play ball, which led to an error, and other mental mistakes. According to David Lennon of Newsday, Manuel took a few players aside after the game for a private “wake-up call.”
Lennon theorizes that more efforts like the one on Monday could cost Manuel his job, despite a statement of support from Jeff Wilpon in June.
With Omar Minaya taking most of the heat this season for the Mets’ lack of organizational depth – along with his news conference meltdown – the crosshairs could soon find Manuel, who is only signed through 2010.
The Mets have 10 players on the disabled list, including five former All-Stars. But even with the team out of contention, it still reflects badly on Manuel that they can’t muster a big-league effort over the final two months. The Mets already are 1-4 on this road trip.
One possible solution for Manuel to save his job? Pull a hammy.
If you Twitter, and enjoy more than just the gloom and doom in Gotham, you can follow me at @bharks.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead