Rolen, La Russa bury the hatchet

Aug 11, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT

A near-death experience can cause a guy to reassess his life and seek reproachment with enemies. A ball to the side of the head is less dramatic, but maybe it can have the same effect:

Scott Rolen tried to put an end to his feud with Tony La Russa stopping by the Cardinals manager’s office Monday in his first trip back to Busch Stadium since his trade almost two seasons ago . . . He said he hadn’t spoken with La Russa since being sent to the Blue Jays for Troy Glaus in January 2008, a deal made when relations between the two soured after Rolen was benched during the 2006 postseason.

I’m no Tony La Russa fan. Though I respect him as a manager and can’t deny his success, he grinds my gears to no end. I think his particular brand of bullpen usage has done way more damage to baseball than good, I’m peeved by the fact that he’s all-too-willing to accept the “genius” label, yet is all-too-willing to play dumb when someone asks him about steroid use in his clubhouses, and I can’t stand anyone who wears sunglasses at night.

All that said: Rolen was the jerk in that little feud. He couldn’t hit a lick with that bum shoulder in 2006, and if I were in La Russa’s shoes, I would have benched him too. Cardinals won the World Series that year, by the way. Why it took nearly three years for Rolen to get over that is beyond me.

1. robert - Aug 11, 2009 at 11:13 AM

i agree with you scott and i’am a st. louis fan.

2. Randy - Aug 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Explain your reasoning on the bullpen comment!

3. Pylon - Aug 11, 2009 at 12:31 PM

All Rolen wanted to do was play ball. He was (and is) a great defender, worked hard and played the game the right way. That’s what you want in your guys. He got benched and was mad over it, not to mention the way the medical staff botched his shoulder issues after the collision with Hee Seop Choy. But in the end his anger stemmed from his desire to play ball. A lot of young player could learn a few lessons from him.
    Tony went to the press with his gripes, took their issues public, and ran Rolen out of town. A manager owes his players more than that. There is no defense for how he handled the situation.
    Rolen kept his mouth shut and declined to comment about the feud, even after the trade. He initiated the conversation to mend fences. He’s proven himself to be the bigger man in the relationship once again.
    If you can’t see that, then you are an idiot. But that’s not news, I guess.

4. kramer - Aug 11, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Our long national nightmare is over.

5. smsetnor - Aug 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Oh man. LaRussa gets to me too. But I don’t mind his sunglasses at night… His eyes creep me way out.

6. Ron - Aug 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Pylon,
    Rolen went to the press first. Whatever anyone wants to say about LaRussa, he is extremely loyal to his players, and when there is a problem, it’s the player who goes public first.
    Just like Kennedy last year. LaRussa is paid to make the decision, whether they are popular or not. If the players don’t like it, there are other ways to address the problem than whine to the media.

7. HOTROD - Aug 14, 2009 at 3:43 PM

he wears sun glasses because he is doeS not want anyone to know he
    is drunk with the blood shot eye,,,,,,,,,
    sleeping at the wheel at a traffic light, what a great role model
    he is the reason for pitch counts as well ……….
    i think LaRussa invented baseball …..CRAIG, CHECK THAT FOR ME

8. HOTROD - Aug 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM

So Rolen gave up HIS Constitutional Right ???
    That one about Freedom of Speech……..

9. HOTROD - Aug 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Ron and Pylon just so we get this straight I’m inviting you fellas to have a BEER AT THE WHITE HOUSE, with El Presidente Obama.

10. Discount Cartier Sunglasses - Jan 17, 2010 at 6:48 AM

Hola!, cool site, loads of original information, shall be back soon to see what’s new.

11. Discount Cartier Sunglasses - Jan 17, 2010 at 7:00 AM

Howdy!, nice blog, lots of great content, shall return soon to see what’s new.

Final take away from World Series