Aug 11, 2009, 10:00 AM EST
A near-death experience can cause a guy to reassess his life and seek reproachment with enemies. A ball to the side of the head is less dramatic, but maybe it can have the same effect:
Scott Rolen tried to put an end to his feud with Tony La Russa stopping by the Cardinals manager’s office Monday in his first trip back to Busch Stadium since his trade almost two seasons ago . . . He said he hadn’t spoken with La Russa since being sent to the Blue Jays for Troy Glaus in January 2008, a deal made when relations between the two soured after Rolen was benched during the 2006 postseason.
I’m no Tony La Russa fan. Though I respect him as a manager and can’t deny his success, he grinds my gears to no end. I think his particular brand of bullpen usage has done way more damage to baseball than good, I’m peeved by the fact that he’s all-too-willing to accept the “genius” label, yet is all-too-willing to play dumb when someone asks him about steroid use in his clubhouses, and I can’t stand anyone who wears sunglasses at night.
All that said: Rolen was the jerk in that little feud. He couldn’t hit a lick with that bum shoulder in 2006, and if I were in La Russa’s shoes, I would have benched him too. Cardinals won the World Series that year, by the way. Why it took nearly three years for Rolen to get over that is beyond me.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 277
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (277)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)