"25 things we miss about baseball"

Aug 12, 2009, 7:08 AM EDT

That’s the name of the list the folks at Sports Illustrated put together, talking about things like real stirrups, mustaches, baseball on the radio and so-on. I’ve approvingly referenced the vast majority of these things in various posts over the past couple of years, but I gotta tell you: seeing all of them in one place gives off a kind of pathetic “back in my day” vibe, very much like when someone older than this piece’s authors holds forth on, say, 1940s or 1950s baseball, the alleged Golden Era, etc.  I roll my eyes at that kind of stuff, and I fully expect that fans in their 20s and younger will roll their eyes at this stuff, even if so much of it is cool.

Nostalgia is comforting and everything, but when someone starts to claim that everything which existed when they were young was the best thing ever, realize that you’re dealing with emotions and  not objectivity.

And the next time I talk about how cool mustaches were in the 70s and 80s, please be polite and don’t point out how much of an old fogey I truly am.

1. Grant - Aug 12, 2009 at 7:49 AM

“We might be stuck with clubs named the Baggies, the Bell Bottoms and the Cuffs.”
    As a reader in his 20s, I’m already rolling my eyes. This is hacky nostalgia/old fogeyism at its worst. If this is the quality of writing to be expected from this piece I probably won’t be reading much longer.

2. Grant - Aug 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Claiming that you miss muttonchops while decrying exotic sideburns? hack work.
    Claiming that Earl Weaver wouldn’t want to use spreadsheets and would rely on his gut? Hack work that also shows a stunning ignorance of the baseball history you claim to love.
    This piece is terrible and we are all stupider for having read it.

3. Jason @ IIATMS - Aug 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Stirrups ARE cool. If you don’t agree, you’re a Commie.

4. Grant - Aug 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM

I actually agree that sirrups are cool. The overall piece, though, is poorly conceived and poorly executed.

5. Andy L - Aug 12, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Good call on Earl Weaver, Grant. He’s exactly the type of manager who WOULD use spreadsheets. Why not use someone like John McGraw as an example instead?

6. Alex - Aug 12, 2009 at 11:48 AM

“25 things we miss about baseball”
    No. 10: the Reserve Clause
    No. 11: Segregation
    No. 12: Unrepentent mysogyny

7. P - Aug 12, 2009 at 12:14 PM

He wants bullpen carts AND bullpens in foul territory? He wants every middle infielder to be David Eckstein? He doesn’t understand what makes a fastball effective?
    Help us, Jebus.

8. Grant - Aug 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM

P – This is a piece written by a bunch of different people. Those things you mention have different authors, one of whom is a woman (for Bullpen Carts). But you’re still right. All those things are horrible.

9. Stultus Magnus - Aug 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM

These aren’t all horrible things, what’s wrong with organ music? The minor league team in my home town has it and I prefer it to loud, obnoxious music, sound effects, or that lame “everybody clap your hands!” shtick.
    I’d listen to baseball on the radio more often if somebody more competent called Yankee games, but Sterling is too infuriating to listen to: blown calls, descriptive black hole, annoying sidekick, etc.

10. Levi Stahl - Aug 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Craig,
    If you miss mustaches, you clearly haven’t been watching enough Cardinals games. It’s not all about that subcontinent Ryan Franklin’s wearing on his chin with those guys: Ankiel started a whole Selleck trend, and now pretty much the only guys who don’t have one are Pujols (too cool) and Rasmus and Thompson (not old enough to grow facial hair).

11. Michael - Aug 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Did you notice that the title of the article is “Nestle: Remember When”?
    This is a promo for Nestle. They want older people to long for their childhoods, when they went to the ballpark and supposedly ate nestle Crunch bars until they puked.
    Sports Illustrated demonstrates yet again that they’ve lost all journalistic credibility.

12. Simon DelMonte - Aug 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I was a lot more annoyed with the companion piece about things we don’t or won’t miss, and how it lumped in Don Fehr. Personally, what I won’t miss is anti-union bias.

13. antonio - Aug 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Know what I miss? The relative peace and quiet enjoyed in the days before dumba$$ bloggers like Craig Calcaterra!

14. HOTROD - Aug 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY YOU CAN’T HAVE A STACH IN 2009………
    MY GIRLFRIEND LIKES MY SMALL,TRIMMED STACH, SHE SAY’S
    IT DOES NOT SCRATCH HER FACE LIKE A BIG BUSHY ONE –
    LIKE ROLLIE FINGERS-MAYBE THIS IS ALSO THE REASON CRAIG
    DISLIKES THEM…………….THEY SCARTCH HIS FACE……

15. HOTROD - Aug 14, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I SECOND THAT…….

16. HOTROD - Aug 14, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Pujols has a goatee, that small or thin stach ……..

17. William Bergmann - Aug 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM

As a Dodger fan I can say that everything was the same in the 50s because we still have Vin Scully. It does seem that the players look a bit more disgusting today because of HDTV what with the spitting, chewing all kinds of gross materials, scratching and grabbing their packages. I don’t know how Manny Ramirez can get a woman to kiss that slobbering, chaw filled pie hole of his. It looks revolting!

18. Salt-Man Z - Aug 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Hey, the Minnesota Twins still have PLENTY of wimpy middle infielders! (And an honest-to-gosh organist, too.)

19. BigPhillyDave - Aug 23, 2009 at 9:59 PM

What is wrong w/ nostalgia? Who couldnt use a reminder of the past traditions and practices? Who couldnt use the past as a reminder of the way we painted our present? People… lighten up. Everybody thinks their period in time is or was the best, and to them- in the time that it happened – it was. Let’em brag or say their piece, no ones gonna die you’ll get over it and when you are their age…… you’ll appreceiate someone who isnt the slightest bit interested in what you have to say bout “tha good ole days” being a sounding board for you. And the world will turn……

20. sweaty armpits - Feb 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM

That’s Too nice, when it comes in india hope it can make a Rocking location for youngster.. hope that come true.

21. how to get rid of acne - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Acne is serious problem to lot of a people nowadays. That is why I feel like I need to do something about it- visit my site, you might get help.

Thanks

22. acne treatment - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Very nice post!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3370)