Aug 12, 2009, 7:08 AM EDT
That’s the name of the list the folks at Sports Illustrated put together, talking about things like real stirrups, mustaches, baseball on the radio and so-on. I’ve approvingly referenced the vast majority of these things in various posts over the past couple of years, but I gotta tell you: seeing all of them in one place gives off a kind of pathetic “back in my day” vibe, very much like when someone older than this piece’s authors holds forth on, say, 1940s or 1950s baseball, the alleged Golden Era, etc. I roll my eyes at that kind of stuff, and I fully expect that fans in their 20s and younger will roll their eyes at this stuff, even if so much of it is cool.
Nostalgia is comforting and everything, but when someone starts to claim that everything which existed when they were young was the best thing ever, realize that you’re dealing with emotions and not objectivity.
And the next time I talk about how cool mustaches were in the 70s and 80s, please be polite and don’t point out how much of an old fogey I truly am.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 19
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 10
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)