Aug 12, 2009, 7:08 AM EDT
That’s the name of the list the folks at Sports Illustrated put together, talking about things like real stirrups, mustaches, baseball on the radio and so-on. I’ve approvingly referenced the vast majority of these things in various posts over the past couple of years, but I gotta tell you: seeing all of them in one place gives off a kind of pathetic “back in my day” vibe, very much like when someone older than this piece’s authors holds forth on, say, 1940s or 1950s baseball, the alleged Golden Era, etc. I roll my eyes at that kind of stuff, and I fully expect that fans in their 20s and younger will roll their eyes at this stuff, even if so much of it is cool.
Nostalgia is comforting and everything, but when someone starts to claim that everything which existed when they were young was the best thing ever, realize that you’re dealing with emotions and not objectivity.
And the next time I talk about how cool mustaches were in the 70s and 80s, please be polite and don’t point out how much of an old fogey I truly am.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 120
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (122)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)