Aug 12, 2009, 7:08 AM EDT
That’s the name of the list the folks at Sports Illustrated put together, talking about things like real stirrups, mustaches, baseball on the radio and so-on. I’ve approvingly referenced the vast majority of these things in various posts over the past couple of years, but I gotta tell you: seeing all of them in one place gives off a kind of pathetic “back in my day” vibe, very much like when someone older than this piece’s authors holds forth on, say, 1940s or 1950s baseball, the alleged Golden Era, etc. I roll my eyes at that kind of stuff, and I fully expect that fans in their 20s and younger will roll their eyes at this stuff, even if so much of it is cool.
Nostalgia is comforting and everything, but when someone starts to claim that everything which existed when they were young was the best thing ever, realize that you’re dealing with emotions and not objectivity.
And the next time I talk about how cool mustaches were in the 70s and 80s, please be polite and don’t point out how much of an old fogey I truly am.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)