Aug 12, 2009, 7:08 AM EDT
That’s the name of the list the folks at Sports Illustrated put together, talking about things like real stirrups, mustaches, baseball on the radio and so-on. I’ve approvingly referenced the vast majority of these things in various posts over the past couple of years, but I gotta tell you: seeing all of them in one place gives off a kind of pathetic “back in my day” vibe, very much like when someone older than this piece’s authors holds forth on, say, 1940s or 1950s baseball, the alleged Golden Era, etc. I roll my eyes at that kind of stuff, and I fully expect that fans in their 20s and younger will roll their eyes at this stuff, even if so much of it is cool.
Nostalgia is comforting and everything, but when someone starts to claim that everything which existed when they were young was the best thing ever, realize that you’re dealing with emotions and not objectivity.
And the next time I talk about how cool mustaches were in the 70s and 80s, please be polite and don’t point out how much of an old fogey I truly am.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)