Aug 12, 2009, 7:08 AM EDT
That’s the name of the list the folks at Sports Illustrated put together, talking about things like real stirrups, mustaches, baseball on the radio and so-on. I’ve approvingly referenced the vast majority of these things in various posts over the past couple of years, but I gotta tell you: seeing all of them in one place gives off a kind of pathetic “back in my day” vibe, very much like when someone older than this piece’s authors holds forth on, say, 1940s or 1950s baseball, the alleged Golden Era, etc. I roll my eyes at that kind of stuff, and I fully expect that fans in their 20s and younger will roll their eyes at this stuff, even if so much of it is cool.
Nostalgia is comforting and everything, but when someone starts to claim that everything which existed when they were young was the best thing ever, realize that you’re dealing with emotions and not objectivity.
And the next time I talk about how cool mustaches were in the 70s and 80s, please be polite and don’t point out how much of an old fogey I truly am.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)