Aug 12, 2009, 9:50 AM EDT
In less depressing Diamondback relief pitcher news, Arizona has released Tom Gordon. After elbow surgery, hamstring problems, and a moderately acute case of post-40itis, it’s possible that Gordon’s interesting and often underrated career is over. Though, because he’s a reliever with a pedigree and you simply can’t kill those guys, Gordon latching on with some other team is not out of the realm of possibility. One quibble with the AP story on all of this:
Gordon, 41, is 138-126 with 158 saves and a 3.96 ERA in 890 games in 21 seasons . . . Dennis Eckersley, Hoyt Wilhelm and Lindy McDaniel also have at least 135 victories and 150 saves.
I know the guy had a bad week, but doesn’t John Smoltz (212 wins, 154 saves) warrant a mention here too?
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)