Aug 12, 2009, 9:50 AM EDT
In less depressing Diamondback relief pitcher news, Arizona has released Tom Gordon. After elbow surgery, hamstring problems, and a moderately acute case of post-40itis, it’s possible that Gordon’s interesting and often underrated career is over. Though, because he’s a reliever with a pedigree and you simply can’t kill those guys, Gordon latching on with some other team is not out of the realm of possibility. One quibble with the AP story on all of this:
Gordon, 41, is 138-126 with 158 saves and a 3.96 ERA in 890 games in 21 seasons . . . Dennis Eckersley, Hoyt Wilhelm and Lindy McDaniel also have at least 135 victories and 150 saves.
I know the guy had a bad week, but doesn’t John Smoltz (212 wins, 154 saves) warrant a mention here too?
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)