Aug 12, 2009, 5:10 PM EDT
- Hopefully, Tuesday’s incident took care of the bad blood between the Tigers and Red Sox, but with noted hothead Josh Beckett on the mound tonight, another flareup is a possibility. Kevin Youkilis, who charged the mound after being hit in a second straight game last night, chose not to appeal his five-game suspension, so he’ll sit tonight. It’s unclear whether the Tigers will regain the services of Miguel Cabrera, who left last night’s game after being hit in the hand by a pitch. Detroit has scratched Armando Galarraga from his scheduled start, so Zach Miner, who pitched in relief Monday, will get the nod.
- While Glen Perkins’ injury helped him out, Francisco Liriano could use a strong outing tonight if he’s going to stay in the Minnesota rotation. The Twins have lost each of his last four starts, during which he’s given up 19 runs — 15 earned — in 21 2/3 innings. He’s faced a difficult schedule over the span (NYY, TEX, LAA and CLE), but he’ll have no such excuse tonight against the Royals.
Game of the Night
Philadelphia vs. Chicago Cubs – Replacing Jamie Moyer in the rotation, Pedro Martinez will make his much-anticipated Phillies debut after striking out 11 and allowed three earned runs in six innings in his final minor league start. That’d be enough for Game of the Night honors on its own, but it will also be interesting to see Jeff Samardzija make his first major league start for the Cubs. He’s struggled as a major league reliever this year, posting a 6.29 ERA and a 13/12 K/BB ratio in 24 1/3 innings. He was 5-3 with a 3.43 ERA in 12 starts for Triple-A Iowa.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 11
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 51
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 15
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 12
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)