Aug 12, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
As part of the grand plan to keep Joba Chamberlain’s arm from falling off, the Yankees are pushing his next start back by a day or two, instead inserting Chad Gaudin into the rotation for a start this weekend against the Mariners. The Daily News’ Tim Smith thinks this is silly:
Leave him alone and let him pitch his regular turn, and stop talking about this top-secret plan that was devised, developed and instituted by GM Brian Cashman and Girardi. Enough already.
I’m all for being careful with young arms — and though he seems like he’s been around a long time, Joba is still young — but one wonders whether this treatment isn’t having some unanticipated side effects. Pitchers are creatures of habit, and based on his quotes in the articles, Chamberlain is always the last to know when he’s pitching. Jorge Posada, who knows a thing or two about pitchers by now, says “It’s tough with what he’s been going through. He doesn’t know when he’s going to pitch, so it’s tough to mentally put it all together. He’s doing everything he can to stay focused, but it’s tough.”
And though I’m venturing a bit out of my bailiwick with this, I wonder if it’s possible that extra rest does Joba some harm, albeit small harm. Perhaps he feels almost too strong when he pitches on extra rest and thus (a) overthrows; and/or (b) doesn’t feel as pressing a need to be efficient and conserve energy?
Worth thinking about. And, hey, given the lead the Yankees have right now, there’s room to experiment a bit.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)