APB out for Wrigley beer-thrower

Aug 13, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT

As I mentioned in the recaps, some idiot threw a beer at Shane Victorino in the fifth inning of the Cubs-Phils game. Turned out that the fan who was detained for it, however, wasn’t the right guy, and now a dragnet is out:

The unknown fan who tossed a beer onto Philadelphia outfielder Shane
Victorino during the fifth inning of Wednesday night’s game managed to
escape without getting caught.

The Cubs still hope to identify the fan and prosecute him to the
fullest extent of the law, but will need the help of other Cubs fans to
find him . . . The Cubs are working with the Chicago Police Department to try and find
the fan, and plan to release the photograph on Thursday in hopes that
someone will identify him.

Here’s hoping that this guy gets Bartman-level scorn and scrutiny from the press and the public.

1. Julian - Aug 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I’m getting a little tired of people making fun of this guy. And I don’t care about his sexuality.
    Though the only people I’ve ever known who wear white sunglasses and a wristband definitely were … if you know what I mean.
    I want to just say that I felt bad for the fat guy who got kicked out. Though there is nothing I like better than watchign fat people fall down.

2. Phid - Aug 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Maybe throwing the beer was the exact RIGHT thing to do…
    Maybe it was precisely what the situation called for at that very moment…
    Perhaps this individual should be considerd a hero and did the entire Cubs fan-base and Chicago a big favor when he sloshed his beer on the unsuspecting opponent.
    In fact, it could be that we (man as a species) owe this brave man a debt of gratitude for what he proudly accomplished!
    Then again, perhaps I’m a nut!
    Let’s have Congress investigate this problem! After all, a year or so ago, when home forclosures began running rampant, Congress spent quite a bit of time investigating steroid use in major league baseball!
    That’s the ticket! MLB is just so very damn important!
    Move over John-Dillinger’s-Legacy. There’s a new national Public Enemy #1. The beer-guy!

3. NY Jay - Aug 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Boston Mike: Typical comment from Boston bonehead. It is fans like you that ruin it for all the fans that truely enjoy the game. Tossing beer on a player whether it is plastic cup or glass is completely stupid and leave it up to a dumb A** Boston fan to rationalize it. By the way, how does it feel to be smelling the Yankees rears?

4. Julian - Aug 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

5. Michael - Aug 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

In other news, the 100 or so people who spilled beer on Landon Donovan at the Azteca yesterday will probably get statues in the town square.
    Come to think of it, I’d probably consider spilling beer on Landon Donovan.

6. Jack - Aug 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Cubs fans behaving badly…big surprise. I wish they would all stay in Chicago and never visit Cincinnati.

7. Poppy - Aug 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

What a poser d-bag that guy looks like. I wish he was the exception to the Cubs fans I’ve met. Sadly, he’s the prototype.

8. kevin - Aug 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I live in philly watching the game….the guy that did it had a backwards hat and a white tee shirt with a arm band around his left arm…they originally grabbed some dude a few down from him who had a cubs jersey on…security then came back and grabbed the correct person and a few other people from that row and escorted them out…that was all that was shown on TV…I have a 52 inch LCD with DVR and after rewinding a few times it was clear as DAY who threw it

9. kevin - Aug 13, 2009 at 2:09 PM

whoever posted the first post here is CORRECT…follow that link and the guy with the sunglasses in the white tee IS 100% the guy who threw the beer…not the guy in the cubs jersey…on another note how much would that suck to get thrown out for something you didn’t do?

10. kim - Aug 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM

BostonMike, so it’s okay for fans to be throwing crap, no matter what it is, at players? It’s harassment and the dumbass should be arrested. If someone came to your job and threw a beer at you, and you had to fear that everyday, it would be harassment. The players don’t need to put up with that shit. You may as well just give everyone a beer and it would be a new game of spraying all of the players when they got to make a play. Maybe that would be okay in Fenway Park…but not around the league. Boston sucks.

11. Boston Mike - Aug 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM

NY Jay. I agree that tossing a beer is a completely bonehead thing to do. I think that the fan should be tossed from the stadium. I think if he’s a season ticket holder his tickets should be revoked.
    What I do NOT agree is that it is a CRIMINAL thing to do. Regardless of the “distraction factor, there was no realistic chance the player was going to get hurt by a plastic cup full of beer.
    Understand now?

12. notawitness - Aug 13, 2009 at 2:31 PM

A player was assaulted with a cup of beer on television with potentially millions watching. It needs to be taken seriously and the police are putting out a message that this behavior won’t be tolerated and it won’t give you 15 minutes of fame without serious consequences, even if it is some douchey cub fan that will always be a douche. It’s not national news Phillies fans because no one gets shocked by drunken cub fan behavior.

13. chris - Aug 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

This is standard at most stadiums. Throwing anything at the players is assault. As a matter of fact, if you were out and someone threw a drink at you, you could file a complaint. It was idiotic at best.

14. Matt - Aug 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Throw it back!! Just use a beer, intead of the ball!! LOL!!

15. HOTROD - Aug 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I’M NOT SURPRISED, ANOTHER SPOILED ROTTEN AMERICAN, THE COUNTRY
    IS FULL OF THEM, REALLY, IT IS…………
    THIS IDIOT SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH WASTING BEER, 2 YEARS IN A NORTH
    KOREAN JAIL ………
    IS IT OK TO THROW BEER ON RON ARTEST, BUT NOT VICTORINO ????

16. CJ - Aug 13, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Let me get this right…A Cub fan does something wrong and you would rather complain about Philly fans…way to keep your eye on the ball

17. CJ - Aug 13, 2009 at 3:29 PM

18. Philly Fan - Aug 13, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I was with you, right up until the point you identified yourself as a Cowboy fan. Oh well…:))).

19. rje49 - Aug 13, 2009 at 4:56 PM

It was Bartman!

20. HOTROD - Aug 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Might as well wear a Klan hood in Harlem. ????
    Some things are just bad judgement ????
    I don’t know if that is such a GOOD statement…….
    By the way Harlem has $1,000,000.00 Brownstones- ON THE LOW END-, it is NOT the same Harlem Jimmy Carter visited………

21. smarterthanyouidiots - Aug 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM

You have all lost your minds. You’re ranting at each other and about entire cities over the subject of a baseball GAME! Pathetic. Get a life, all of you.

22. Iliveinphilly - Aug 17, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Well, the 1st thing you did wrong was go to an EAGLES game wearing a COWGIRLS JERSEY!!! You got what you deserved… 2nd, this wasn’t about football, this was a baseball game. The fans are not the same fans that go to eagles games. Phillies fans are not looking for trouble, not sitting in the parking lot 8hrs before gametime drinking cases of beer. I’ve been to many games at CBP and never heard a phillies fan curse another person wearing a different teams Jersey. So please, don’t throw Phillies fans in the same pot as Eagle fans!!!

23. Bummer - Sep 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I don’t understand why Philadelphia made such a big deal out of this situation. Whereas, you don’t hear St. Louis complaining about the game when Philly fans were shining laser pointers in Albert’s eyes. Obviously, I understand that beer could have potentially been dangerous.

24. LeRoy - Sep 7, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I agree, Lou Pinella is a class act

25. Mike - Sep 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM

It’s not like this is the first time this has happened at Wrigley…not even the first time this season. I am a Sox fan, but I definitely don’t hate the cubs. I do, however, hate going to Wrigley because of the fat, drunken, loud-mouthed, disgusting fans. I went to several games last season at the behest of my wife (who is a Cub’s fan), and saw at least two outfielders get beers thrown at them during games and one prior to the start of the game. Be as supportive of your team as you like, enjoy the game and have a great time while you’re there, but don’t throw crap at the players…that’s pretty lame and garners disrespect for the city and for the team from the rest of the US.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto