Aug 13, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
* According to the New York Post, there’s some trouble brewing in Yankee land as Alex Rodriguez’s actress girlfriend (Kate Hudson) isn’t getting along with Derek Jeter’s actress girlfriend (Minka Kelly). Penny Lane versus Lyla Garrity! My brain just exploded.
* After going 3-for-4 last night, Kaz Matsui is one hit away from totaling 2,000 for his career between Japan and America, which would gain him membership to the exclusive group of Japan’s greatest players called Meikyukai.
* Joe Posnanski makes the case for calling bad baseball contracts “Ricciardis” in honor of the Blue Jays’ general manager.
* After receiving no offers to play in the majors this season, 41-year-old Luis Gonzalez admitted yesterday that he’s probably played his last game. Once he officially retires, Gonzalez is expected to rejoin the Diamondbacks’ front office.
* First-year Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz isn’t very impressed with the tackling displayed in baseball brawls. In fairness though, he hasn’t had to sit through a season of watching the Lions try to tackle people yet.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)