Aug 13, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
* According to the New York Post, there’s some trouble brewing in Yankee land as Alex Rodriguez’s actress girlfriend (Kate Hudson) isn’t getting along with Derek Jeter’s actress girlfriend (Minka Kelly). Penny Lane versus Lyla Garrity! My brain just exploded.
* After going 3-for-4 last night, Kaz Matsui is one hit away from totaling 2,000 for his career between Japan and America, which would gain him membership to the exclusive group of Japan’s greatest players called Meikyukai.
* Joe Posnanski makes the case for calling bad baseball contracts “Ricciardis” in honor of the Blue Jays’ general manager.
* After receiving no offers to play in the majors this season, 41-year-old Luis Gonzalez admitted yesterday that he’s probably played his last game. Once he officially retires, Gonzalez is expected to rejoin the Diamondbacks’ front office.
* First-year Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz isn’t very impressed with the tackling displayed in baseball brawls. In fairness though, he hasn’t had to sit through a season of watching the Lions try to tackle people yet.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 0
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 30
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 16
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 25
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)