Aug 13, 2009, 11:55 AM EST
* According to the New York Post, there’s some trouble brewing in Yankee land as Alex Rodriguez’s actress girlfriend (Kate Hudson) isn’t getting along with Derek Jeter’s actress girlfriend (Minka Kelly). Penny Lane versus Lyla Garrity! My brain just exploded.
* After going 3-for-4 last night, Kaz Matsui is one hit away from totaling 2,000 for his career between Japan and America, which would gain him membership to the exclusive group of Japan’s greatest players called Meikyukai.
* Joe Posnanski makes the case for calling bad baseball contracts “Ricciardis” in honor of the Blue Jays’ general manager.
* After receiving no offers to play in the majors this season, 41-year-old Luis Gonzalez admitted yesterday that he’s probably played his last game. Once he officially retires, Gonzalez is expected to rejoin the Diamondbacks’ front office.
* First-year Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz isn’t very impressed with the tackling displayed in baseball brawls. In fairness though, he hasn’t had to sit through a season of watching the Lions try to tackle people yet.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (110)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)