Aug 13, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
* According to the New York Post, there’s some trouble brewing in Yankee land as Alex Rodriguez’s actress girlfriend (Kate Hudson) isn’t getting along with Derek Jeter’s actress girlfriend (Minka Kelly). Penny Lane versus Lyla Garrity! My brain just exploded.
* After going 3-for-4 last night, Kaz Matsui is one hit away from totaling 2,000 for his career between Japan and America, which would gain him membership to the exclusive group of Japan’s greatest players called Meikyukai.
* Joe Posnanski makes the case for calling bad baseball contracts “Ricciardis” in honor of the Blue Jays’ general manager.
* After receiving no offers to play in the majors this season, 41-year-old Luis Gonzalez admitted yesterday that he’s probably played his last game. Once he officially retires, Gonzalez is expected to rejoin the Diamondbacks’ front office.
* First-year Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz isn’t very impressed with the tackling displayed in baseball brawls. In fairness though, he hasn’t had to sit through a season of watching the Lions try to tackle people yet.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 0
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)