Aug 13, 2009, 2:13 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported yesterday that the Brewers and Dodgers are interested in John Smoltz, and now Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel writes that the Marlins are also in the mix for the 42-year-old right-hander. Rodriguez notes that Smoltz has a relationship with Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez from their time together in Atlanta and speculates that he may want to return to the NL East.
There’s really no need for teams to go after Smoltz until he’s released by the Red Sox later this week, but once that happens it’ll be interesting to see if anyone offers him a rotation spot. Every indication is that Smoltz would prefer to continue starting and Rodriguez speculates that the Marlins, for instance, could make him their fifth starter instead of Sean West or Rick VandenHurk. However, it sure seems like a move back to the bullpen would be best for everyone involved at this point.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)