Aug 13, 2009, 2:13 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported yesterday that the Brewers and Dodgers are interested in John Smoltz, and now Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel writes that the Marlins are also in the mix for the 42-year-old right-hander. Rodriguez notes that Smoltz has a relationship with Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez from their time together in Atlanta and speculates that he may want to return to the NL East.
There’s really no need for teams to go after Smoltz until he’s released by the Red Sox later this week, but once that happens it’ll be interesting to see if anyone offers him a rotation spot. Every indication is that Smoltz would prefer to continue starting and Rodriguez speculates that the Marlins, for instance, could make him their fifth starter instead of Sean West or Rick VandenHurk. However, it sure seems like a move back to the bullpen would be best for everyone involved at this point.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)