Aug 13, 2009, 10:20 AM EST
The Washington Post’s Chico Harlan, citing “industry observers,” believes that the Nats have made “a significant offer” to Stephen Strasburg. But noting that Scott Boras’ m.o. is to do everything at the last minute, he expects nothing to happen until Monday. Which, by the way, is signing deadline day.
Boras seems to have more and more high picks each year, and plays this 11th hour game with all of them. People credited him with bleeding edge savvy in connection with the maybe late, maybe not Pedro Alvarez deal last year, but I can’t help but think that was a result of mere sloppiness borne of having too many balls in the air at the same, critical time.
One of these years he’s going to screw that calculus up major, and a client is going to get royally boned. When he does, the whole Boras empire will come crumbling down, because unlike a lot of other agents, it’s based totally on his effectiveness, not on fuzzy relationship stuff.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)