Aug 13, 2009, 10:20 AM EST
The Washington Post’s Chico Harlan, citing “industry observers,” believes that the Nats have made “a significant offer” to Stephen Strasburg. But noting that Scott Boras’ m.o. is to do everything at the last minute, he expects nothing to happen until Monday. Which, by the way, is signing deadline day.
Boras seems to have more and more high picks each year, and plays this 11th hour game with all of them. People credited him with bleeding edge savvy in connection with the maybe late, maybe not Pedro Alvarez deal last year, but I can’t help but think that was a result of mere sloppiness borne of having too many balls in the air at the same, critical time.
One of these years he’s going to screw that calculus up major, and a client is going to get royally boned. When he does, the whole Boras empire will come crumbling down, because unlike a lot of other agents, it’s based totally on his effectiveness, not on fuzzy relationship stuff.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)