Aug 13, 2009, 10:20 AM EDT
The Washington Post’s Chico Harlan, citing “industry observers,” believes that the Nats have made “a significant offer” to Stephen Strasburg. But noting that Scott Boras’ m.o. is to do everything at the last minute, he expects nothing to happen until Monday. Which, by the way, is signing deadline day.
Boras seems to have more and more high picks each year, and plays this 11th hour game with all of them. People credited him with bleeding edge savvy in connection with the maybe late, maybe not Pedro Alvarez deal last year, but I can’t help but think that was a result of mere sloppiness borne of having too many balls in the air at the same, critical time.
One of these years he’s going to screw that calculus up major, and a client is going to get royally boned. When he does, the whole Boras empire will come crumbling down, because unlike a lot of other agents, it’s based totally on his effectiveness, not on fuzzy relationship stuff.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)