Aug 13, 2009, 10:20 AM EDT
The Washington Post’s Chico Harlan, citing “industry observers,” believes that the Nats have made “a significant offer” to Stephen Strasburg. But noting that Scott Boras’ m.o. is to do everything at the last minute, he expects nothing to happen until Monday. Which, by the way, is signing deadline day.
Boras seems to have more and more high picks each year, and plays this 11th hour game with all of them. People credited him with bleeding edge savvy in connection with the maybe late, maybe not Pedro Alvarez deal last year, but I can’t help but think that was a result of mere sloppiness borne of having too many balls in the air at the same, critical time.
One of these years he’s going to screw that calculus up major, and a client is going to get royally boned. When he does, the whole Boras empire will come crumbling down, because unlike a lot of other agents, it’s based totally on his effectiveness, not on fuzzy relationship stuff.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 1
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 38
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 22
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 34
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)